Sea Legs

Zowie

Reaction score
Has anyone installed Sea Legs as a boat lift. They are mounted under the boat permanently and are hydraulic.

Do you have any more information on these such as a link, photos etc?

Thats a pretty cool set up. What does somthing like that cost? As long as where you park your boat its nice and flat i can see that working out real good.

The you tube video is the product. I am on a relatively sandy bottom lake and need a new lift and was considering them. Was looking for reviews.

I looked at a boat that had them installed when the boat was new. While a cool idea, I didn't like the idea of carrying around hundreds of pounds of weight all the time. I don't remember the exact weight, but it was 600 or 700# IIRC, enough for several adult passengers.

The retail of these installed is greater than $3000 and again, IIRC, the marina that had the boat was willing to take them back off and reduce the price by $2000.

That should give you some idea.

More info here: http://sea-legs.com/

Also, I do not know what Bennington you have, but there is a reason why Bennington offers wave shields. The under belly wave shields prevent water from splashing up and creating drag. I would think adding the sea legs would add weight and create a lot of drag. Just mt opinion.

Umm...

How high above the waterline or dock does that get the boat's deck?

Are we talking about ladder territory?

I thought it was a great invention but then thought ... What if it's softer mud or what if they break,,, great idea, but to many what if's for me

I am in the market for a new 2275 RCW or a 2574 GCW and saw the "Sea Legs" at the boat show. They were mounted to a Bennington in there booth. I loved the idea and am considering getting them on the new boat. I have only two concerns; weight and price. They are $5,200. I would love to hear from someone who has a set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the idea but after researching it,, I went against it,, extra weight underneath , plus the drag , and if they break while out somewhere,, it's all not worth it in my opinion

I have them on my 2275 RLCi, they add 385Lbs,but it is pretty evenly distributed

front to back. I'll never go back to a lift ! They are so versatile, you stop to swim,

put them down just far enough to hold the boat - no anchor ! you visit someone on the lake

you put them down & never have to worry about your toon banging against the dock etc.

If you consider the cost of a good lift vs Sea Legs, there isn't much difference.

They best part is in the spring & fall while everyone is taking out & putting in their lifts,

in the cold, the only cold your worring about is cold barley pop, while watching them !!

I have them on my 2275 RLCi, they add 385Lbs,but it is pretty evenly distributed

front to back. I'll never go back to a lift ! They are so versatile, you stop to swim,

put them down just far enough to hold the boat - no anchor ! you visit someone on the lake

you put them down & never have to worry about your toon banging against the dock etc.

If you consider the cost of a good lift vs Sea Legs, there isn't much difference.

They best part is in the spring & fall while everyone is taking out & putting in their lifts,

in the cold, the only cold your worring about is cold barley pop, while watching them !!
Thank you Otter. When I saw them I got real excited for all of the same reasons that you mentioned. But I worry about adding 385lbs to my boat. Not a problem in your experianced opinion? I was quoted an installed price of $5,200 at the boat show. This seems high to me. Is that about what yours cost.

Umm...

How high above the waterline or dock does that get the boat's deck?

Are we talking about ladder territory?
The Sea Legs rep told be that the legs can be stopped at any point so you can just stablize the boat or lift it right out of the water depending on the depth of water you are in. The two legs can be operated together or independantly so the the boat can be leveled if the bottom is sloped.

The Sea Legs rep told be that the legs can be stopped at any point so you can just stablize the boat or lift it right out of the water depending on the depth of water you are in. The two legs can be operated together or independantly so the the boat can be leveled if the bottom is sloped.
My legs cost me 4500, and yes you can operate front & back separately or together .

My legs cost me 4500, and yes you can operate front & back separately or together .
How long ago did you buy them? No problem with carrying around the extra weight?

Aren't these kind of limited in use? You have to be in no more than 5 feet of water to use them as an "anchor" and no more than 4 feet of water to get the pontoons totally out of the water. Seems like this limits their usefulness.

Aren't these kind of limited in use? You have to be in no more than 5 feet of water to use them as an "anchor" and no more than 4 feet of water to get the pontoons totally out of the water. Seems like this limits their usefulness.
My main rason for considering them is to get the pontoons out of the water at my dock and to eliminate the boat rubbing on my dock and it would work fine for that, also I am not fond of putting in and taking out boat hoists. Then there is the added benefit to do the same thing at my frinds houses on my lake. Then again, maybe I am just a sucker for inovative new products.

Back