SEA STAR STEERING HARD TO TURN WHEN UNDER POWER

kcd3257

Reaction score
Hey All,
Just purchased a new to us, 2020 SXP 25 tritoon with a 150 Yamaha, and Sea Star power steering, at the dock when running steering is fine when under any kind of power its very hard to turn in either direction, it appears fluid level is ok...Any thoughts ??

Are you getting power to your hydraulic pump? There should be a green light on it under your helm. It should also make a very subtle "whiney" sound when the wheel is turned if your pump/power steering is working. I'd check that first

I will check that out tomorrow night when i go up...I def do not hear any whiney sound but i will check for that light...

I have made a few posts on this topic, had a similar issue - turned out to be an electrical hookup issue. If you have dual batteries, try switching to the other battery and see if you have the same issue (on mine it appears the power steering is hooked up directly to just 1 battery - so if I did not charge the battery it was hooked up to, I would loose power steering).

When we took possession of our 2019 Q, we had a similar issue. Turns out the dealer had not connected power to the hydraulic pump properly. They promptly made a three hour drive to our marina and corrected the problem.

When we took possession of our 2019 Q, we had a similar issue. Turns out the dealer had not connected power to the hydraulic pump properly. They promptly made a three hour drive to our marina and corrected the problem.
funny you say that as the previous owners said the steering was always this way...going to go up tommorow night and see if there is power to the pump

just dealt with this on a new to me 2020. Lack of power steering led me to figure out second battery not properly charging. Power steering is/was hooked to non charging battery.
Went up last night and it turned out the steering is hydrualic seastar not the electric option, also Boat came with the after market side shift thrusters bow and stern and the stern one was mounted on the lwr part of the outboard, once i removed that one the steering became much more managable... so no more stern thruster but improved steering...Thanks for all the input

Back