Sea trial W/dealer question

JoshinMI

Reaction score
So, we finally are receiving our boat and our sea trial is next week.

In talking with the salesperson he informed me that we will go over everything and run the boat at speed to make sure everything works or to find out what doesn't.

However, I'm under the impression that you are not supposed to go over 2K rpms for the first hour on the motor and then go up from there. (Yamaha).

Did your dealers do this as well? Is this normal?

However, I'm under the impression that you are not supposed to go over 2K rpms for the first hour on the motor and then go up from there. (Yamaha).

Did your dealers do this as well? Is this normal?
You are correct about the above limit during the first hour with a Yamaha. We have a Mercury, which is different. Just remind them of this limitation, and to not go over the 2k rpms during the water test. You should be able to still check everything else, get a feel for the boat, and at least make sure the motor is otherwise operating as expected.

Over the course of the remaining break in, as well as operating it up to your 20 check up, just keep track of anything that seems off (hopefully nothing). Those things can be addressed at the 20 hour check up and oil change.

And of course...CONGRATULATIONS on the boats arrivals. Looking forward to pictures if you post some to the forum.

I’ve often wondered about this too. Dealers lake test the boat to get the right prop sometimes. Wouldn’t they have to be at wide open throttle? Is this not going against what the manufacturer recommends? Please share your thoughts on this. TIA.

I’ve often wondered about this too. Dealers lake test the boat to get the right prop sometimes. Wouldn’t they have to be at wide open throttle? Is this not going against what the manufacturer recommends? Please share your thoughts on this. TIA.
This is exactly what I'm concerned with.

I had asked dealer for a specific type of prop (Mercury Enertia) at purchase and locked it in at that time. I then said use their better judgement, but that I would water test the prop after the 10 hour break in to dial it in and switch up if needed (with their agreement that I could so long as no marks/damage on the test prop).

This was based on insight gained in this forum the year leading into my order. I’d never thought of this myself, but I think its a good approach to take.

Some great advise shared above about reminding the dealer of the break-in limits but I suspect that many sea trials performed by them don't follow the manufacturer's guidelines. However, I have to think that engine manufacturers have to know this happens as well and that there is a bit of "cushion" for a few minutes at least. I picked up my boat on a weekend so the dealer refused a sea-trial so I know I was the only person to operate it during the break-in period so I only have myself to blame if it wasn't followed. That said, the break-in period will be a lot easier to do on a pontoon verses the five hours at no more than half throttle on our new jet skis!

Some great advise shared above about reminding the dealer of the break-in limits but I suspect that many sea trials performed by them don't follow the manufacturer's guidelines. However, I have to think that engine manufacturers have to know this happens as well and that there is a bit of "cushion" for a few minutes at least. I picked up my boat on a weekend so the dealer refused a sea-trial so I know I was the only person to operate it during the break-in period so I only have myself to blame if it wasn't followed. That said, the break-in period will be a lot easier to do on a pontoon verses the five hours at no more than half throttle on our new jet skis!
If you need help breaking in those jet skis...well, you know where to find me on the lake. ;)

I think of it this way....

When you test drive a new car with 2 miles on it and ask the dealer to take it on an open road so you can “get on it”, has the dealer ever said “this engine is pretty new, let’s keep it easy for whoever buys it”?
Nah

So I know the dealer won’t break in the engine slow when they have it, and sure won’t when testing a prop

I told the dealer what prop I wanted. No water testing needed.

Exactly my concern as well! My dealer/marina told me they ran it at a low rpm for an hour (as evidenced by the hour meter: 1.1 hours) but they DID get it up to WOT 6,200 before the 3-hour mark. So, they did not follow manufacture’s recommendation. But, he said it was for only a few seconds to ensure proper rpm. I’m quite sure my motor is fine; they do this for new boats hundreds of times per year... they know what they are doing. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Back