SeaStar Hydraulic Steering Locks-Up

TI Guy

Reaction score
I have a 2275 RLi with a Yamaha 200 hp on it, and as I was returning to the dock one day, the hydraulic steering (SeaStar Power Assist part # 1200-2) froze up on me. I was pretty much at idle, and there was a stiff breeze blowing, so I needed to reverse the steering (Helm for you nautical types) quickly and get it into reverse to suck the rear end (Stern) into the dock. As I attempted to quickly rotate the wheel (helm) from right to left (starboard to port) the steering (Helm) locked up tight. I just as quickly turned the wheel (Helm) in the opposite direction and it immediately freed up. No damage to anything or anyone ;- ). I have had the problem occur a couple more times since (always at or near idle) though not in as critical a situation, and reversing the steering (helm) immediately fixes the problem. I took the boat to my dealer today, and he WAS able to repeat the problem, though only once in many tries. He said that he had never seen or heard of this issue before, and was going to call Teleflex to see if they had any info on the problem. I have an email into them as well, so we'll see what they come back with. Many times, someone here has had a similar issue, and thought I would solicit (ask) if anyone here has run into the same problem with the SeaStar hydraulic systems? If not, and others read this, perhaps it might save someone a ding (impact with an immovable object).

If you call Teleflex, you want to talk to Mike Gray. He heiped me with my install.

TI Guy, I have a 2275 RCW with a 200 Yammaha VMAX and have had the exact issue several times. I thought it was air in the rear hydrolic / piston and was planning to bleed them when I get a chance. Please let me know if you hear anything from Teleflex. Similar to you, it tends to happen in the most inconvenient times!

If you have air in the system it will take you more turns lock to lock.

Air in the system will also cause it to feel jerky and tends to make noise as well depending on where the air is in the system. Usually a locked wheel is most likely an issue in the main steering valve "HMU, Hand Metering unit" in rolling equipment terms or "Helm Pump" in marine use that is hooked to the steering wheel. This should be the unit you have.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/helms-new/sport-tilt/

Last edited by a moderator:
bighawkeye

I have owned my 2575 RCW w/250 HP Yamaha SHO for 3 years now and have experienced power steering issues every year. I just returned from a week long trip using the boat and had my steering lock up everyday. Besides the hassle of not being able to steer the boat I'm more concerned about the potential for having a serious accident with another boat or person in the water. Has anyone else experienced this with their Sea Star power steering? I'm fed up the issues I have experienced sinc...

Today, 06:21 PM · Delete

I finally got my dealer to promise to look into my steering problem. Since he WAS able to duplicate the problem at the shop, he should be able to give us an answer. Boat is due in for repairs on Sep 16th, so I hope to have an answer for all soon after that.

I also got a response from a Marc, at Seastar, and he sent me the attached pdf file for trouble shooting the problem. He seemed to think that it was a problem with the spool valve. Since that will require fluid added to the system, and some probable fluid leaking on the floor, I'm going to let the dealer deal with the problem. He led me to believe that if there was any rust on the spool valve, it could cause the problem I'm having.

The problem has occurred many times since the first time, and now that I know that all I have to do is momentarily steer in the opposite direction, I'm not as worried about the problem.

Will post an answer once the dealer fixes it.

PA Flow Chart.pdf

Attachments

• PA Flow Chart.pdf
    446.2 KB · Views: 81
I have a 2275 RCW with a Yamaha F250 and have experienced the same thing several times, I just keep turning the wheel. The pump under the helm makes a annoying whine as well, not sure if this is normal or not. I'm curious what the dealers does ?

Loony, It actually sounds like we have different problems. My makes no whine. and my wheel just locks up... it won't turn at all. I have a flow chart for diagnosing problems with SeaStar's that I got from SeaStar... I'd be happy to email it to you... I tried to upload it, but it says the file is too large. It's just a pdf file of two pages. Just let me know.

I finally got my dealer to promise to look into my steering problem. Since he WAS able to duplicate the problem at the shop, he should be able to give us an answer. Boat is due in for repairs on Sep 16th, so I hope to have an answer for all soon after that.

I also got a response from a Marc, at Seastar, and he sent me the attached pdf file for trouble shooting the problem. He seemed to think that it was a problem with the spool valve. Since that will require fluid added to the system, and some probable fluid leaking on the floor, I'm going to let the dealer deal with the problem. He led me to believe that if there was any rust on the spool valve, it could cause the problem I'm having.

The problem has occurred many times since the first time, and now that I know that all I have to do is momentarily steer in the opposite direction, I'm not as worried about the problem.

Will post an answer once the dealer fixes it.

attachicon.gif
PA Flow Chart.pdf
Did you ever get an answer on this? I just purchased my Bennington in February and it has this issue.  

I've emailed Marc a few times. He's my go to guy for sure!

Tmxdiver has the definitive answer if anyone is still trying to track down this issue.
Thanks for the research... to the guy/gal who can't figure out which one he/she is... oh wait, I'm sorry, I misread the line, you said "I'm not telling" for gender ;- )

I'm a fan ;- )

So I took the list and mine was model PA1225-2 sn 12 02-402236 I just purchased my Bennington in February at the Dallas boat show. Nice to know that this notice was issued before I received mine and they never notified the dealers. Luckily I never hit another boat in the Marina when mine locked up.

FYI TI Guy I think the default is "I'm not telling" it is now fixed. ;)

Bennington 2275 RCW w/Yamaha 250SHO

I've been emailing the warranty rep, and he told me that all dealers have been notified. If a dealer hasn't found out about it, it's probably because they aren't reading their company mail/emails/notifications.

No offence ,I believe my dealer .

If you could have seen the look on his face when I showed him the advisory .

That advisory came out last November . If any of those were built after that .That would be blemish on which ever company used them .

I would hope that sea star would have notified  Bennington and every other boat manufacturer at the time it was issued .I don't think Seastar would even have the "email addresses or physical address "for every boat dealer in the U.S.and Canada .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2275 RLi with a Yamaha 200 hp on it, and as I was returning to the dock one day, the hydraulic steering (SeaStar Power Assist part # 1200-2) froze up on me. I was pretty much at idle, and there was a stiff breeze blowing, so I needed to reverse the steering (Helm for you nautical types) quickly and get it into reverse to suck the rear end (Stern) into the dock. As I attempted to quickly rotate the wheel (helm) from right to left (starboard to port) the steering (Helm) locked up tight. I just as quickly turned the wheel (Helm) in the opposite direction and it immediately freed up. No damage to anything or anyone ;- ). I have had the problem occur a couple more times since (always at or near idle) though not in as critical a situation, and reversing the steering (helm) immediately fixes the problem. I took the boat to my dealer today, and he WAS able to repeat the problem, though only once in many tries. He said that he had never seen or heard of this issue before, and was going to call Teleflex to see if they had any info on the problem. I have an email into them as well, so we'll see what they come back with. Many times, someone here has had a similar issue, and thought I would solicit (ask) if anyone here has run into the same problem with the SeaStar hydraulic systems? If not, and others read this, perhaps it might save someone a ding (impact with an immovable object).
Hi I'm have the same issue. Power assist goes out for me at low speeds or idle only. It has happened three times only when we are leaving the doc. Do you have any more information. Thanks.

My problem occurred when the boat was fairly new, and Sea Star had a recall on the steering unit I had, so it was covered under the warranty. I don't know what they found, they may even have replaced the whole pump unit. Sorry, wish I had more information for you.

Back