Seat pedestals (any Advice)

MrG

Well-Known Member
Messages
774
Reaction score
661
Location
Lake Tulloch Ca
Hey I need to replace my Drivers Seat pedestal Any one have any advice

I think The Stock seat pedestal is a spring field, and lets just say I'm not that impressed, Was looking for some advice'

I saw the Deck MATE and it looks pretty Sturdy
 

Attachments

  • Silver-Pedestal-3-4.webp
    Silver-Pedestal-3-4.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 6
It would help to know what your issue with the seat is.

The main issue I fixed was a seat that offered poor forward visibility. I was able to install 4.5" riser blocks between the metal seat pan and the seat structure. Problem solved! To be fair, 4.5" maybe a little overkill as 3.5 would have been enough, but had no need to cut down the blocks. The seat also had a stop to limit swivel, that was removed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DVW
I find the Springfield stuff perfectly fine and I am pretty abusive of my seat. Only complaint is some of the screws and bolts keep working their way out, I need to loctite them next time. Mostly metal parts, hard to find fault with that.
 
Well I find that the fit between the seat base and the Pylon is not great and the plastic material that works as a bushing breaks down pretty quick and then you have not a great fit between the 2 and the seat is then rocking back and forth
 
Besides seat height my only complaint with the seat is having to fiddle with the rotation friction adjustment. It seems to loosen up and then it gets to rockin and then the plastic sleeve feels like it is beat up. I replaced the captains seat post with the next size longer post. My justification is visibility but the captain really should have the tallest seat.
1790435998307.jpeg
 
When you fixed the seat what kind of riser blocks did you use?
It appears the first attempt will work just fine. Used 4.5" lengths of 2x6 pine. Those are through-bolted using the existing pedestal and seat mounting holes. Added a wood screw from the pedestal pan to stop the blocks from turning and give some added rigidity. There were two existing holes in the pan for that and I drilled two more. Although blocks of that size are visible from the side, I painted them the same color as the seat so they are barely noticeable.

Note that the boat has a variable tilt steering wheel, so the 4.5" additional seat height works fine. Other situations may work better with something more like a 3.5" lift.
 
Thank you. I need to do something like this and did not think to put the blocks on the seat pan..
 
Well I find that the fit between the seat base and the Pylon is not great and the plastic material that works as a bushing breaks down pretty quick and then you have not a great fit between the 2 and the seat is then rocking back and forth
Can you just buy a new bushing from springfield or an upgraded one from a 3rd party? Looks like there are options online.
 
Last edited:
Well my Seat Base was Cracked and Damaged and that led to the pedestal being damaged. So I know the entire Pedestal and base need to be replaced so in the mean time I just cut the damaged section off and and replaced the cracke seat base it’s Much better for now.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7279.jpeg
    IMG_7279.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7312.jpeg
    IMG_7312.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 5
Ouch! That looks spicy! You'll still need a bushing in that clean section to keep it from wobbling too much and prevent metal-on-metal damage? I know you are going to replace the base but it could take weeks/months until you get to it? Or in my case years since there never seems to be a break in my kids' baseball!
 
My question is,
Are the screws that are used to attach the base to the deck just some form of wood screw or, are they machine screws with nuts on them from the underside of the deck? The reason I ask is because I wanted to remove the entire base and pedestal to do some maintenance and possible raising of the whole thing to accomplish a higher seat position. But, I couldn't get the screws to loosen up so, I'm thinking they have nuts on the bottom of the deck. I too have slight issues with the pivoting components in this design. While they don't loosen wildly, the seat sometimes seems to drift to the left without me really forcing it to.
Scott
 
Hey Potomac,
I appreciate the help here. Yes, I've had that side skirting off three times for various reasons and on ours, there's 21 nuts and bolts on each side to remove those garnish moldings. By the way, your picture did not turn out. All I get is this: IMG_6543.jpeg
 
I can see it on my end, maybe the mods can help?

But it's as you would think, there are 6 probably 5/16 bolts that are washered and nutted below deck. If you have a helper it should be a 2 minute job.
 
Hey Potomac,
I can see the pic now. For some reason it didn't come in before. Yeah, if that side skirting was out of the way, it would be a fairly easy job of r & r that base and I could then fabricate a nice looking riser of some sort. Thanks. Even though our Benny was fitted with a raised driver seat base/foot area, I still like a cushion under me to boost me up just a tad more. It just kind-a makes me feel I've got a better and more tactical view for safer piloting.
Scott
 
Ah so you have the raised helm then? I too like being up a little higher for visibility reasons so I opted for the pop-up chair bolster that gives me another 4-5 inches of lift. But if you are looking at upgrading your pedestal I would encourage you to look at the entire Spingfield catalog, they have lots of options including adjustable post height that would probably work for your application.

Tom
 
  • Like
Reactions: DVW
Ah so you have the raised helm then? I too like being up a little higher for visibility reasons so I opted for the pop-up chair bolster that gives me another 4-5 inches of lift. But if you are looking at upgrading your pedestal I would encourage you to look at the entire Spingfield catalog, they have lots of options including adjustable post height that would probably work for your application.

Tom
Yep,
We have the raised helm. And while looking at some of my own pics, I may be able to fabricate another form of raising the seat other than going through the hassle of removing the side skirting just to get to the nuts that are attached to the screws that hold the seat base to the deck. I could come up with some aluminum spacers/tubing that might do the job in raising the seat. Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that. Here's a couple of pics showing the raised helm
Scott
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top