Sedona wonky gauges

david_odom

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Sedona with a 115 hp Yamaha outboard. Over multiple years the readings on all of my gauges have become unreliable. I've lived with wonky trim gauge (the motor is either full up or full down) and the rpm gauge (I know by ear plus my GPS velocity readings where to comfortably run the engine. But now my fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank when I'm almost empty and the RPM gauge is bouncing more frequently and is pegging at 7000 rpm. (the Yamaha just purrs along).
The gauges are all Faria and don't look particularly high end.
So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone experienced similar gauge behavior.
2. Should I suspect the gauges so or something else.
3. Any troubleshooting advice before I replace at least one of the gauges?
4. Any advice on where to find suitable replacement gauges?

Thanks in advance

David

Attachments

• Tach.jpg
    Tach.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Trim.jpg
    Trim.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Fuel.jpg
    Fuel.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 3
Replace them all!!! Try greatlakesskipper. com. I bought a set of gauges that fit my old 2004 RL 2275 from there. Or anywhere they sell sets of gauges.....

It does not seem probable that all three gages would go bad before their time. The problem could be something they all have in common. Something they all have in common is power from the key switch and ground (black wire) to the battery. Check the connections. A electrical meter measuring continuity to and from the three gages might be helpful. If you get low continuity (high ohms) follow that path. If everything checks out replace a gage. If that does not fix it go back looking for a problem common to all. Hope this helps.

Thanks to you both for you responses. I got tied up with family and working on lake cabin reno plans and haven't done anything yet. The gauges didn't all go wonky at once. It happened over time, I've has the boat since 2006. Never been a big problem as I really don't need the the trim gauge, I can judge cruising speed from sound and speed indicator on my GPS and I make sure I'm full whenever i go out for a long day.
I'll check out greatskipper.com. Cheers

Back