Seeking advice, new boat, MPH motor size, wake tower?

superdad707

Reaction score
Hello members, I'm looking to order a Bennington 22 GSAPGa few questions I have.

1.) Anyone know if Bennington will add a wake tower besides the bimini? Wife and I trying to find that balance of fish and ski, they need a wake/ski/fish model.

2.) What is the slowest mph, or idle speed, with length/size of boat, and motor size you have? I do a fair amount of trolling between 2.5mph and 3.5 mph. I'm looking into the 250 V8 Verado but I'm thinking it might be too much. I'm also planning on adding a 112lb 36V Ulterra. I plan on trolling with the outboard for striper.

3.) Anyone know the rod locker dimensions? I found another forum topic that said 91" but it was for a smaller model.

Thanks!

I honestly don’t pay attention to slowest idle speed. I am sure various people that fish do though.

I know my Mercury Verado Pro has a “Docking” button on the throttle to change response for super low speed docking control. Since I dont fish, never thought about it’s potential utility for trolling. Now I’m curious just for curiosity sake.

Anyway, I’m sure some others with insight will chip in soon.

Get the center console with the T top and go hog wild with the rocket launchers!

My idle speed on a F250 is super slow but I’m also under-propped at the moment. We used to troll around 3-4mph with big umbrella rigs for stripers in my buddies Trophy so I would imagine with a big heavy pontoon getting your baits low and slow will not be an issue.

Hopefully I can get get one custom built as I honestly hate all the layouts.

The "Fishing" models have the useless AFT livewell, I rather have the rear deck space for helping people reel in a fish, or room for extra hands, deck hand to net, etc.

I heavily customized mine so you shouldn’t have any problem. There may be a charge to blueprint/engineer the layout if it gets too wacky (I think I paid $500) and it takes more time, but the end result is well worth it. Maybe look at Angler Qwest pontoons and get some layout ideas, they’re pure fishing machines.

100%. I had them use shorter furniture from a 21’ at the bow so I could have more room outside the fence and fish it like a bass boat, and added a custom table that was not available in my model. I heavily use both of those areas and would have had severe regrets spending $$$ on something that doesn’t achieve my objectives. The great thing about Bennington is the factory and dealer will work to make you happy - if they have it they can probably build it.

I also need to add my Garmin chartplotter at helm and bow, Power poles and trolling motor - the latter I’m going to wait until JL Marine releases theirs later this month/summer which according to rumor will be the cats meow and be auto deploy like an Ulterra.

Good luck!

That would be cool if they came with a factory option to mount the Ulterra, hopefully with a quick disconnect (currently have it with 112lb/36v). I'm also hoping they would simply add a compass to the remote so you know which way the motor is pointed. I was looking at doing the 'trailer hitch' mod. http://club.benningtonmarine.com/th...trolling-motor-to-the-boat.10606/#post-137752

Definitely cool they can extend the decks, as I would make it great for easier fishing, throwing cast nets, and hopefully a walk able back deck.

Currently we have a Sea Ark Easy 200 with a Turbo Swing on it, and need something a bit more stable for all the friends; it's been a great back water boat, from creeks, rivers, but my wife and I need something to handle big water better; as a majority of our time is on Beaver Lake, AR.

So finding the right balance of fish/ski is hard; but I think the pontoon is our best option, next up for consideration was the Ranger 2350 Center Console, but I'm having a hard time committing to the limited space in the rear for trolling with all sitting room back there.

Older I get, more time I troll vs bass fish and casting (bad back). Stripers are easy trolling umbrella rigs, and gets everyone in on the action. And for the people that don't care, they can sit up front talking about who knows what. I'm thinking I can easily mount some rod holders on a ski tower on the back, or the rail mount holders. Or if engineers can come up with a wake tower I can mount rod holders to that would work too.

It's too tiny and not luxurious! They would have to beef it up to appeal to my wife. 25' or longer with a bigger t-top for shade.

I'd check with your local dealer(s) and see about the possibility and pricing to eliminate the aft fish station while adding the Pro Angler Fish Station to any fishing model where the Pro Angler is an option.

22SSX_Pro_Angler_Station-3_4366_Bennington_pontoon_boats.jpg

That's my goal, and get the rear deck extended, use a ski tower to mount some rod holders on, or the rails, if adding a wake tower is a no go. I'd like to add a rod box, but I'm not sure how cramped it is and what can fit in it. At a minimum it has to fit two 7'6 rods with size 40 reels (300 yards of 40lb test).

That 40 gallon is more than enough for all my needs; that 18 gallon just gets in the way. Plus livewells work really well for Family time holding/draining all the snorkeling gear, wet ski ropes, etc. I only hope they add a lockable lid to it, that seemed a bit weird to me, but maybe it's more sturdy than it appears? I'd worry about lots of water spilling over, but I could just wear boots when i'ts cold :)

I mostly troll two big umbrella rigs for stripers, so having room for extra hands in the back is a must and small live well is no go. Someone has to work the 6' EGO S2 Net while the other holds the rod and fish.

Back