Service Maintenance Questions

TigerToon81

Reaction score
I just did the 20hour maintenance on my Yamaha F150 that came with a 2019 Bennington Tritoon. I did the fuel filter, lower lube, engine oil, overall pretty easy. A couple of questions:

1. I wanted to warm engine up so oil would flow better. I put muffs on the bottom with water on and started engine. I waited about 3 mins at idle and no water came out the spit spout. I didn't want to wait longer so I turned engine off. It spits water no problem when boat is in the water. Is this typical? Should I have used the flush port? I didn't think I could run engine with flush port. Finally, could 3 minutes at idle have caused any damage?

2. When changing lower gear lube, it took exactly what was in the 1qt bottle to fill up and come out the top port. I filled from the bottom. When trying to get the last bit of oil out of the bottle so it would come out the top I probably got half a pump full of air into the lower unit and then the oil started coming out the top. Is this a problem? Should I redo it or is it okay? I was using the little hand pump similar to a soap dispenser.

Thank you.

1. I wanted to warm engine up so oil would flow better. I put muffs on the bottom with water on and started engine. I waited about 3 mins at idle and no water came out the spit spout. I didn't want to wait longer so I turned engine off. It spits water no problem when boat is in the water. Is this typical? Should I have used the flush port? I didn't think I could run engine with flush port. Finally, could 3 minutes at idle have caused any damage?

Don't worry, the muffs don't offer the same supply as actually being in the water.
Everything is fine.

Using the flush port will not provide lubrication to the impeller.

Do your muffs have round or rectangular rubber cups? I tried the more common round ones when I got my first Yamaha outboard and, like you, didn't get any water out of the telltale orifice. Bought a set of muffs designed for Yamaha and they have rectangular cups that fit over the Yamaha intake ports better. I get a strong stream out of the telltale orifice.

when using the muffs be sure you turn the water hose on a high flow rate out of your hose pipe this helps feed the water pump better, also be sure the muffs are position correctly over water intake openings,

I have a 150 -- a single sided rectangular muff didn't work -- I bought 2 sided rectangular muffs and it works. Get the 2 sided rectangular muffs. DO NOT use flush port. re: oil : a tiny bit of air in the last couple pumps won't hurt. I always use 1 qt even though it calls for a tiny bit more... no problems so far at 5+ years.

Last edited:
I have the two port rectangular muffs. When I know I have as good of a seal as I can get, I’ll crank it and move the throttle just a little to raise the rpm, and it starts peeing pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 2550GBR Bennington Pontoon with a 115 HP Yamaha engine coming up on 500 hours of operation. Before I take it to where I purchase the pontoon for Service, what it recommended as a Critical/Must service needed versus nice to have for the entire pontoon, and not just for the engine. Any recommendation is appreciated.

All the fluids , filters, plugs and impeller . Have you checked the Yamaha site for recomended service ?

Power steering maintenance?

Thanks. Never considered the anodes. Looks simple to replace myself.

I was going to tackle soon myself - I run in brackish water so while I'm sure they're mostly still intact you just never know until you pull them.

There is also is an OCV filter (oil control valve) on the F250's that require replacement at 500 hours but it doesn't appear the F115 has these. Use your user manual or get the one online for your periodic maintenance schedule:

IMG_2076.jpeg

Back