Sharkhide and Hot Sauce

Malibu

Reaction score
Just got first boat with sharkhide.  In past have always wiped boat down with Hot Sauce.  I assume I should not use any on pontoons.  Have just used wet microfiber towel so far.  

I don't think that using hot sauce would hurt the pontoons finish. Being a new boat just using a clean microfiber towel should be sufficient! 

Have a great summer!

My tubes are Sharkhided and I use Boat Candy Detailer to wipe them down.  It actually makes them a bit shinier and slicker.  Works fine.

I have no clue what effect if any hot sauce might have the the coating, but I do know what is recommended...

I emailed: sharkhide@peaknet.net  asking for their recommendation, even though I have read their instructions on their website and read on this forum what other members experience has been.

This is from Clint:

My first suggestion is stop using anything other than warm soapy water on your pontoons. We don’t like to see any type of cleaners, waxes, polishes etc. used on Sharkhide. Reason being is there are an infinite number of various chemicals and such used in these things and we have no way in the world to know which one or combination of that will harm or destroy your Sharkhide.

Now assuming you don’t have any kind of residue present from prior applications, the only thing you need to do is wash your pontoons with hot soapy water (we use Dawn dish liquid), rinse, chamois off the water spots and let it air dry for a few hours. Then come back and apply a fresh coat of Sharkhide right over the existing coat. It’s self etching so you don’t have to sand before the new coat. And be SURE to use NOTHING but the white cotton baby diapers we show on the website. That’s critical to getting a nice even coat of Sharkhide.

I hope this helps and please feel free to give me a ring if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks a lot for your efforts,  did you see my other post on canvas covered lift guides scratching sharkhide any thoughts on that.

I have no clue what effect if any hot sauce might have the the coating, but I do know what is recommended...

I emailed: sharkhide@peaknet.net  asking for their recommendation, even though I have read their instructions on their website and read on this forum what other members experience has been.

This is from Clint:

My first suggestion is stop using anything other than warm soapy water on your pontoons. We don’t like to see any type of cleaners, waxes, polishes etc. used on Sharkhide. Reason being is there are an infinite number of various chemicals and such used in these things and we have no way in the world to know which one or combination of that will harm or destroy your Sharkhide.

Now assuming you don’t have any kind of residue present from prior applications, the only thing you need to do is wash your pontoons with hot soapy water (we use Dawn dish liquid), rinse, chamois off the water spots and let it air dry for a few hours. Then come back and apply a fresh coat of Sharkhide right over the existing coat. It’s self etching so you don’t have to sand before the new coat. And be SURE to use NOTHING but the white cotton baby diapers we show on the website. That’s critical to getting a nice even coat of Sharkhide.

I hope this helps and please feel free to give me a ring if I can answer any more questions.

I have talked to Clint a few times. Nice guy ! He knows his Sharkhide product that's for sure.

I used a fair amount of hot sauce on my sharkhide before switching to just 50/50 vinegar water (cheaper and just as good, IMO). I'm on my third year of use and the sharkhide still looks great. I don't keep my boat in the water, so it could go longer, but I plan to re-apply next year. 

Back