Sharkhide tags from factory

02ram4x4

Reaction score
Ordered my Bennington with sharkhide to be applied at the factory. We saw the boat before it was delivered to us (before the dealership touched it) and it did not have any tags that said sharkhide on the toons. I noticed at the time that most of you had tags on yours at delivery so I asked my salesman to make sure that it had been applied. He said the invoice from the factory said it did and we took his word. The toons look almost black now and we are a little concerned that it wasn't applied. The shrink wrap had the wrong vin on it upon delivery so that worries me too! Sorry so long, just trying to get some input, did your boat have tags or some other sort of identification on the toons?

-Southern Michigan lake (mucky bottom)

-stored on a covered lift fully out of the water

-35 total hours on the boat, sits still on the water for no more than 3 hours a time

Here is mine when it arrived at the dealer . I had a spot on the center tube that turned black .It was missed at the factory . The dealer is cleaning and reapplying 

Last edited by a moderator:
That totally sounds like no shark hide. I have a lot of black spots that the factory missed on mine. If I were taking delivery of a new boat again, I'd order shark hide from factory and still apply my own coat.

Mine was tagged from the factory, no issues with black spots here.

I was on my phone earlier so I didn't elaborate on my black spots. The factory didn't really miss anything on the pontoons, just the areas immediately around them like the brackets at the back top. Not a big deal, but if I'd known, I would have applied more so it wasn't half shiny/half black. The real bummer on my sharkhide is what happened to it once the dealer had the boat. We noticed they had buffed out a scratch one one toon, so we applied sharkhide before we put it in the water. What we didn't see is that just ahead of the buffed out part, there was a much longer scratch that only became visible after a few trips. I assume this is because the sharkhide was scraped off and the aluminum turned black like it would untreated. Hard to foresee, but I'd definitely apply a full secondary coat on my next new boat. This is what my new pin striping looks like where the sharkhide was scraped off. I'd mention it to the dealer, but they don't even know what sharkhide is! 

streak.jpg

The spots that were missed on mine are on the transom area .Looks terrible ,Dealer is fixing 

I was on my phone earlier so I didn't elaborate on my black spots. The factory didn't really miss anything on the pontoons, just the areas immediately around them like the brackets at the back top. Not a big deal, but if I'd known, I would have applied more so it wasn't half shiny/half black. The real bummer on my sharkhide is what happened to it once the dealer had the boat. We noticed they had buffed out a scratch one one toon, so we applied sharkhide before we put it in the water. What we didn't see is that just ahead of the buffed out part, there was a much longer scratch that only became visible after a few trips. I assume this is because the sharkhide was scraped off and the aluminum turned black like it would untreated. Hard to foresee, but I'd definitely apply a full secondary coat on my next new boat. This is what my new pin striping looks like where the sharkhide was scraped off. I'd mention it to the dealer, but they don't even know what sharkhide is! 

streak.jpg
Next boat??? Already???

If the toons are getting discolored, then no sharkhide was applied on them.

I would get together with your dealer and either get your money back or have the toons polished and sharkhide applied, at their or Benningtons expense.

You paid for it already, and it sounds like it wasn't done.

Update dealer emailed bennington.  They told my service guy that depending on the water that I'm on it will turn black with or without shark hide.  They said the lakes in northern indiana do it to.  Not sure what to think about that.  Pretty much stuck with the black tubes but they are refunding my money back.  I will just live with it.

Dave

The part of mine that turned black is on top of the center tube ,well above the water line .

Stays in the water from May - October

I find it odd you're getting your money back too if it was applied and working correctly....

Update dealer emailed bennington.  They told my service guy that depending on the water that I'm on it will turn black with or without shark hide.  They said the lakes in northern indiana do it to.  Not sure what to think about that.  Pretty much stuck with the black tubes but they are refunding my money back.  I will just live with it.

Dave
I'm in NE Indiana, boat on a lift, so much like yours. Never had an issue with the water here.

Your boat goes so fast Tom the water doesn't touch the toons, just the prop.

I trailer my boat to many different lakes with different water qualities and have also left them in the water at some of them as much as two weeks, the only place I have had any discolor is where I scrapped off the shark hide from beaching. Sounds to me like there was no shark hide applied..

My toon I had last year did not have shark hide and it started turning color within the first week of using it..

Mine had tags when it was delivered.  No black marks on my toons after one summer use except for couple small spots where the dock hit the toons.  Sounds like you did not get the shark hide.

All boats that receive Sharkhide at the factory are tagged.  When dealers remove the tags is the question!  If O2ram can send us a message with his serial number and dealer name, we will check the production schedule to verify that the boat received Sharkhide.  

The makers of Sharkhide recommend routine reapplication for best results.  It is a great product, but does not resolve 100% of pontoon staining issues.

TB 

All boats that receive Sharkhide at the factory are tagged.  When dealers remove the tags is the question!  If O2ram can send us a message with his serial number and dealer name, we will check the production schedule to verify that the boat received Sharkhide.  

The makers of Sharkhide recommend routine reapplication for best results.  It is a great product, but does not resolve 100% of pontoon staining issues.

TB 

[SIZE=23.6363639831543px]I loved Sharkhide from the first time I heard about it [/SIZE]

LightUpNight_2013_DaveDiCello.jpg

I know this is an old thread but, I just got my 2018 Bennington 21SL delivered on Friday 13th and I have red tags zip tied to the pontoons that mentions sharkhide and cleaners. This wasn't wrote on my purchase order so I don't if I have it or not. How can I tell?

Last edited:
Back