Sharkhide - Yes or No?

Should I have Sharkhide applied to toons from factory?

• YES

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • NO

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
YES: Sharkhide IF storing boat on a lift or trailer

NO: if keeping boat in the water all season.

YES: Sharkhide IF storing boat on a lift or trailer

NO: if keeping boat in the water all season.

My real wolrd experience with this is Yes to both. I had my boat in a mucky lake all first season, it was an easy power wash and light scrubbing to remove the scum after one season. HIndsight i should have taken pictures of the before and after.

OK,my feelings on Sharkhide is:it's like caulk in your home. Once you apply it , your always going to be required to reapply the stuff. Or it will look much worse than  if it was never applied in the first place. Just my feelings! Spend the money on gas and beer!

As a moderator, it bothers me that some here may feel this way.

We have 2 kinds of members here, owners and future owners. The opinions expressed here are not intended to make owners feel bad about their boats. Rather, because many of us have developed strong opinions based on real world experiences, we'd like future owners to learn from our experiences prior to a purchase.

Happy Boating!!!

Couldn't agree more - the input you all have provided has done helped with a few things:

1 - Affirmation of some decisions
2 - Regrets on some decisions
3 - Personal experience that I can use to inform my decisions or purchases
4 - Learning from a community

Thanks Much!

Josh

Here is my real world example... I bought a 250 SHO with ESP which I loved. I was provided information from a member who was of the opinion that anything above a 150 was "a waste of money". Now, after having a 250 SHO with ESP which I love, if I have it to do all over again... I'd get an Eliptical with the biggest motor I could get on it. Likely a 200. Why? I didn't do a ton of water sports activities, but I did love going fast in a straight line. When I got to the dock to pick up my wife she liked to slow cruise. If I was towing kiddos, they freaked out If a started whipping them around. (and sure could with a 250SHO and ESP).

So, there is a real world, here is what I had, here is what others told me, and here is what I learned. Not once did I not appreciate what advice others gave me, and I'm guessing others on here are of the same opinion. Everyone has different tastes and reasons, those that offer suggsestions are assisting in making decisions that others make, the most informed decision. Some even have colors they like... Me? I'm Black and Tan all the way darkest interior you can get. In the end only you have to be happy with your decision, others were just helping provide what they have learned. (And yes I did get it sharkhided)

Spot on, Jarred. Well said.

As a moderator, it bothers me that some here may feel this way.

We have 2 kinds of members here, owners and future owners. The opinions expressed here are not intended to make owners feel bad about their boats. Rather, because many of us have developed strong opinions based on real world experiences, we'd like future owners to learn from our experiences prior to a purchase.

Happy Boating!!!

I have Sharkhide. And spent a weekend (off season) polishing. I agree with what you said, but I wasn't offended by Dub9's post. Actually, it made me laugh. He makes a good point about us Sharkhiders perhaps being a bit too anal about it.  Bottom line is if you're not anal about how your pontoons look, don't bother with Sharkhide. If you want to keep them looking nice, get the Sharkhide. Your boat won't burst into flames if you don't though. Sharkhide is purely a cosmetic thing. That's been said many times by others here. 

By the way, I voted yes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is looking at my water stained toons when I zip past them on the lake! I like no maintenance and I saw sharkhide as something to maintain. I spent good money on my deck so I am not out there each year staining, sealing etc. I don't think one toon on our lake has sharkhide either. You've seen one log, you've seen them all!

I guess I had missed the original question. If you are going to have it factory is the way to go. Like lakeliving though I saw it as something to maintain/reapply - didn't get it and voted no. The toons do look a bit discolored, but we don't mind. We don't have a lift, don't trailer and the boat sits in the water all the time. Not really an issue for us. 

I vote yes on the sharkhide. 

Did it my self before it ever seen water. Cost me $65 and a few cotton rags. 

Still looks as good as it did as the day I got it. And going on my third season with this one and people still comment on how it looks and ask if it is new. 

And I agree with Kaydano, if you don't really care how they look then there is no need, Personal preference 

I voted yes because it will keep them new looking a few months longer.  However, according to the shop that sold me my boat, one season (or less) and it's gone. 

I voted yes because it will keep them new looking a few months longer.  However, according to the shop that sold me my boat, one season (or less) and it's gone. 

Third season on mine and have not had to re-apply yet. But it does not sit in the water all the time. 

Would love to see a before and after photo after a season of boating in saltwater. 

I voted yes because it will keep them new looking a few months longer. However, according to the shop that sold me my boat, one season (or less) and it's gone.
Do you keep the boat in the water? I may start keeping mine in Lake Wylie for convenience a minute from my house and not in dry storage (20 minutes). I was thinking of doing the Sharkhide prior to doing this. Still debating but leaning towards it. And yes I like things clean and shiny :)

All of mine have had Sharkhide applied . If you keep it in the water it will wear off in a couple of weeks . But it still makes the slime come off easier .
I have mine reapplied every other year . It does not make your toons shine .
If you have additional questions ,you can contact Clint the owner .
e-mail: sharkhide@peaknet.net
Office : 618.624.4091

Thanks Jack
Yes I would polish all visible sections first before I apply any sealants. I don't need too shiny but a nice "glow". Not a mate finish guy but all personal preference.

You're welcome.
Here is a pic of my 2014 ,one of the times my dealer reapplied the sharkhide
1706971617063.png

If you keep your boat in the water Sharkhide makes it ALOT easier to clean the crap off of the toons! Think of a Teflon frying pan. The food may still stick but it is so much easier to clean....

Back