Shoremaster gangplank

Runway04

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope youre having a great weekend! Going to install a Shoremaster lift for my R23 when it's delivered. Was wondering if, once the boat is lowered, there is much of a gap between the dock and the boat itself? Should I get a small gangplank to get people onboard. It looks to me like there will be a small distance between the two. Just thinking about people who might be older and need help getting on. Thanks.

Hey guys. Hope youre having a great weekend! Going to install a Shoremaster lift for my R23 when it's delivered. Was wondering if, once the boat is lowered, there is much of a gap between the dock and the boat itself? Should I get a small gangplank to get people onboard. It looks to me like there will be a small distance between the two. Just thinking about people who might be older and need help getting on. Thanks.
Part of it will be how close to the dock you put the lift. If you put it right up against the dock, then about a foot gap total depending on dock and lift supports/layout. Might be less than a foot gap.

As for height, then you have water level height vs. dock height. With boat all the way in water, you will likely have some sort of a step down onto the boat. Again, depending on how high your dock is above calm water Level.

Thus, you wouldn’t need much of a gangplank, but it likely would be on an angle. Not sure if that would be worse than simply stepping into and out of the boat or not. My guess is minimally, wait unit it is all set up, and go from there. I lean towards you will not need one.

Part of it will be how close to the dock you put the lift. If you put it right up against the dock, then about a foot gap total depending on dock and lift supports/layout. Might be less than a foot gap.

As for height, then you have water level height vs. dock height. With boat all the way in water, you will likely have some sort of a step down onto the boat. Again, depending on how high your dock is above calm water Level.

Thus, you wouldn’t need much of a gangplank, but it likely would be on an angle. Not sure if that would be worse than simply stepping into and out of the boat or not. My guess is minimally, wait unit it is all set up, and go from there. I lean towards you will not need one.
Also, I have 80 ft of dockline because the water is a shallow grade. Ideally, I would like to put the lift in shallower and just back the boat up and then tie it to the dock when in use. Just not sure if it will be on the shallow side for the lift. About 3 ft. of water where I am thinking of putting it if I do it that way. The dock is EZE dock so it's a floating dock. Always several inches above the water. Thanks again.

Also, I have 80 ft of dockline because the water is a shallow grade. Ideally, I would like to put the lift in shallower and just back the boat up and then tie it to the dock when in use. Just not sure if it will be on the shallow side for the lift. About 3 ft. of water where I am thinking of putting it if I do it that way. The dock is EZE dock so it's a floating dock. Always several inches above the water. Thanks again.
You should be safe doing that in 3 ft of water. Good luck working it all out. Might have some trial and error at first, but once you get it figured out, you’ll be good to go for many years to come. Enjoy!

When our boat is on the lift the bow is a few inches from the dock. (We use the front gate to load) We unsnap the front door from the cover and put the cooler, bags, skis, whatever we're taking that day in the door opening. We'll walk around and unsnap the rest of the cover and put it away. I then lower the boat even with the dock and just walk on. When we are ready to go I'll lower the boat into the water and go!!! For us a gangplank is not needed....

When our boat is on the lift the bow is a few inches from the dock. (We use the front gate to load) We unsnap the front door from the cover and put the cooler, bags, skis, whatever we're taking that day in the door opening. We'll walk around and unsnap the rest of the cover and put it away. I then lower the boat even with the dock and just walk on. When we are ready to go I'll lower the boat into the water and go!!! For us a gangplank is not needed....
I'm surprised there aren't good videos of the actual use of the shoremaster lift.

I have a Hewitt lift, and have a short gangplank jutting out from the dock. Works well, wife and dogs like it.

Back