should it be faster 2022 Benning ton rx sport 400 verado

brundog

Reaction score
Well I thought it would be a whole lot faster!
6 hrs on the boat and we can only get 48 to 49 mph at 6400 to 6500 rpm wot.
I have a 14x19 Silverado prop.
Any thoughts?

What size boat?

I would expect more as well. Seems like with the RPM you are achieving you could stand for a different prop. Either larger diameter/pitch. In full disclosure, I have no experience with a boat motor that size.
What hull do you have? ESP or SPS plus?

Last edited:
Just did a little reading and you need to start with a different prop. Enertia is a better choice.

I think low 50's should e easily achievable with 1 or 2 passengers

Top RPM for the Verado 400 is 6800 rpm, 400R (Merc Racing version) is 7000 RPM, so you should be able to handle more prop, maybe 20 or 21p, depending on load. Both engines get their HP rating due to higher RPM limits. The Enertia or Enertia ECO is your friend. My 2275RCW with a 250 Pro ran 50+ with an Enertia 18, light load.

I would expect more as well. Seems like with the RPM you are achieving you could stand for a different prop. Either larger diameter/pitch. In full disclosure, I have no experience with a boat motor that size.
What hull do you have? ESP or SPS plus?
Esp

We are going to test it Friday with a Enertia 14.7x16 because that's what the dealer has right now.
I am not familiar with what the size over pitch does. Larger pitch versus lower number pitch. I think googling that would be a good idea.

I’d get with Phil at propgods.com
for a suggestion. I have a G25 ESP with a Merc Verado 250 spinning a 15.6 x13 Enertia that will do just over 40 MPH.

We are going to test it Friday with a Enertia 14.7x16 because that's what the dealer has right now.
I am not familiar with what the size over pitch does. Larger pitch versus lower number pitch. I think googling that would be a good idea.

That sounds like a good prop to start the testing with.

I ran the figures through the Merc Prop Selector and it only came back with two:

I used the following info:
Type - Tritoon
Usage - Top Speed
300 ft altitude
2021 Verado 400 1.75:1 drive
4200 lbs (less motor)
400 lbs people + gear
50 gals fuel

Enertia 15x15 898990A46
Enertia 14.7x16 898992A46

Hope it works out in your favor and looking forward to reading what your thoughts are after the swap!

That sounds like a good prop to start the testing with.

I ran the figures through the Merc Prop Selector and it only came back with two:

I used the following info:
Type - Tritoon
Usage - Top Speed
300 ft altitude
2021 Verado 400 1.75:1 drive
4200 lbs (less motor)
400 lbs people + gear
50 gals fuel

Enertia 15x15 898990A46
Enertia 14.7x16 898992A46

Hope it works out in your favor and looking forward to reading what your thoughts are after the swap!
I really appreciate the input and calculations. I am a lot more optimistic about going into the test drive this Friday since one of the props is what we will be testing.
I will chime back in after the test.
Thanks to all for the input.

Props are a funny thing! What I mean is it's not always an exact science. A good example is with my Mercury 150. It came with an Enertia 14.5 diameter/ 17P Prop. I've had people tell me that a 17P has no business on a 150 outboard. We couldn't be happier with it's performance. We pull skiiers out of the water with a great hole shot and although we rarely go WOT we have been up to 42 with our double Bimini up. I was told that if I went with a 15P the hole shot would be even better but the top end would suffer. Why would I change anything?!?

The Enertia 14.7x16 is on my 26LX with a 350 Verado - maxing out at 44mph, 6,200 rpm trimmed, 6 people, full of gas, double bimini up, boat stuffed with gear and coolers, on a hot day at 115, slight chop, with a small nick in the prop (whoops - 1st day out....). Waiting for some cooler days to see if top end increases (manual says up to 14% power loss in hot weather).

Last edited:
From what I've read, the Quicksilver Silverado is a Mercury Vengeance design, which is OLD and apparently not a very good design at all. OP you probably got stuck with whatever inventory was available to the dealer, not what is best for the boat.

The Enertia (3 blade) or Revolution (4 blade) are generally well regarded props for this HP application. If you want something more stern lifting or more bite, an Enertia ECO or Mirage Plus are two good options.

Well I thought it would be a whole lot faster!
6 hrs on the boat and we can only get 48 to 49 mph at 6400 to 6500 rpm wot.
I have a 14x19 Silverado prop.
Any thoughts?

Again thank you for all the input.

The results are in, we tested a new prop today. We installed the Inertia, 14.7 x 16.
Our RX Sport 25' is turning up to 6800 rpm and doing 54mph. This was most certainly a prop issue.

Attachments

• RX Sport side.jpg
    RX Sport side.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 93
  • RX sport back.jpg
    RX sport back.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 95
That is a gorgeous boat! Would have been sad to see that stuck in the 40's given the amount of coin you dropped.

Based on RPM you probably can step up to a 17 or 18 to squeeze out a few more MPH.

Back