Side steering a pontoon, anyone ever tried something like this?

Hi again,
in response to Wanderer and M Jay, my answers are as follows:
Has it affected the overall performance of your boat? answer: nope, no change in performance as the thruster retracts up between the center and starboard toon when not in use.

Did you install a separate battery for the bow thruster or use the house battery? Answer: I installed a separate battery just for the thruster. I located it just forward of the helm, under the seat, in a plastic battery box. I mounted all the controls on the helm wall, also just under the same seat so if any water was present, they would stay dry.

If you installed a separate battery, is it charged by the motor? Answer: I decided for the sake of a simple installation to not charge the battery off the motor. I installed a trickle charger pig-tail on the battery- so I can plug in the trickle charger without opening up the battery box. The controls have a digital volt meter so each time I turn on the switch I glance at the meter to see the state of the batter. I only need to charge it every five to seven times or so that I use it. The instuctions are very clear about when to charge based on the readout. I simply plug in a battery tender to my dock until my next trip on the boat.

Did you run all the wiring under the floor or above the deck? Answer: all the wiring from the thruster is sealed. I ran the wires from the thruster, over the starboard toon, then along, underneath the rail, then through the factory penetration in the floor under then helm. From there I routed it through a hole that I opened in the wall between the helm and the seat right in front. The battery is right there too and they provide a cut-off master switch as well. The joystick is wireless (rf signal) So all it needs is switched power. I powered it from the accessory switch that turns on the stereo/ depth finder. This way when I dock and turn off the stereo I know it is off too and won’t drain the main battery by accident. I mounted the joystick using a hole saw just to the right of the steering in an open area.

I have the rough water package with wave shield covering the floor under the boat. I wonder if that would pose a problem for installation. Answer: I also have the wave shield. It’s no problem as you will see when you crawl under there, that the wave shield is attached with screws to the cross frames. I bolted it to the same cross frames.
I watched the video on the web site and it looks like the wiring went from the unit under the floor to the rear of the pontoon and then up brought the floor to the battery. This would leave all the wiring exposed to the water and in my case salt water. answer: all the wires are sealed, no connections except where they are inside the seat area. I used nylon zip ties to secure the wires under the side rail, just like the factory wires are secured. I boat only in salt water. I bought an extra anode, but haven’t used it yet as the entire thing is out of the water when not used.

couple of comments: I deal with tidal currents and wind every time. I practice A LOT, but sometimes, as others mentioned, the boat just won’t cooperate. This has been a total game changer. I can spin the boat 180deg. In a circle, no problem now.
They say in the instructions that it is possible to install it in the water. That’s crazy talk. I did it myself on land in an afternoon. You will need a helper when mounting the thing under the boat however.
The design and build quality is excellent. I was also very impressed with the packaging and shipper. Very well done, very protected during transit.
oh, and yes, it’s kind of pricy, but you get what you pay for. Also I own my boat with another family - so we split all costs 50/50. :)
hope this helps. Sorry for the long reply...
Thank you for the information. I have taken the plunge and the unit is due to be shipped at the end of this month. I have been talking with the dealer at Smith Mountain Lake and they will assist with the install. Your summary was very informative and helped in the decision to move forward. Let's see how it goes this summer.

Thank you for the information. I have taken the plunge and the unit is due to be shipped at the end of this month. I have been talking with the dealer at Smith Mountain Lake and they will assist with the install. Your summary was very informative and helped in the decision to move forward. Let's see how it goes this summer.
Jay make sure you post a video after installation and learning how to operate it. (How are things in Arlington?!?)

Jay make sure you post a video after installation and learning how to operate it. (How are things in Arlington?!?)
Hi, I will be happy to share how this little adventure goes. As for Arlington, retired in Sept 2020 after 40 years in the field. Time for a change. Heading to SML full-time in May.

Hi, I will be happy to share how this little adventure goes. As for Arlington, retired in Sept 2020 after 40 years in the field. Time for a change. Heading to SML full-time in May.
Congratulations on your retirement! 40 yrs. is quite the achievement! Did Arlington have a DROP program?!? Also Congrats on your move to SML! Beautiful lake!

I had some interactions with Matt Smith over the years, I think he was ACPD. Seemed like a really good guy.
You are correct, Matt used to work for Arlington County he has been working for a private real estate agency for the past few years as a director of their security. Spoke with him not long ago and he’s doing very well

As luck would have it yes we do you have a drop program. Very nice benefit
Oh yeah took full advantage of our DROP! That's why I stayed an extra 3 years! Good luck on your move to the lake full time!

Where on SML ?

Congratulations on your retirement!

Might ,be cheaper option although for a different set up. I know someone that uses and likes but not so much for docking

Might ,be cheaper option although for a different set up. I know someone that uses and likes but not so much for docking
thanks for the info. I have the unit now, just waiting to set up a time for install with my local dealer.

Hello All, well took a bit longer to get situated on the lake, but now a full-time resident. The Benny will go into Webster's Marine the week of July 12th to have the side shift installed. I will keep you posted.

Back