Simrad GO 7 Depth stop working

timjet

Reaction score
Last month after tying up my toon securely to my dock which included a rope beneath the toons my Simrad stopped displaying depth and water temp. I checked the transducer fixed on a bracket on the port toon extending a couple of inches behind the toon. It looks normal, no weeds or anything adhering to it. I don't believe the rope extending beneath the toon ever came in contact with the transducer. I checked the connections on the plotter and all seems normal. The unit does display nav and position data. Any suggestions?

On my 2014 with a Garmin,a transducer extension cable was used from the helm to the transducer . Its possible they may also used an extension on yours also .Its a PITA ,if you have a wave shield .You're still under warranty , let your dealer repair it .

I may or may not be under warranty. I don't have a trailer so it would be difficult to get to a dealer. Any other suggestions. I don't see any damage to the transducer and all connection at the plotter are secure.

If you don't have a wave shield ,check for an extension cable that may have come disconnected.

I will check for an extension cable. I don't know what a wave shield is.

A wave shield is sheet metal between the pontoons that covers most of the exposed areas underneath.

I see you have a 2019 with the SPS package . Wave shield is included with that. Can you rent or borrow a trailer to get it to your dealer?

Don’t know where you are: Maybe dealer could pick it up. The Sarasota dealer will meet you at numerous ramps with trailer. That dealer is in several other west Florida locations too. Other dealers must do the same.

IF it is some sort of data spice cable or extension cable, then getting to the issue (and correcting it) with your wave shield would be a major challenge on your own.

IF all connections that you can get to seem perfectly fine, and due to the wave shield, it might be time to consider trying to get it to your dealership. Most dealers will pick up or drop off (typcially for a small fee if nearby) for customers that bought their bought through them.

Try hard reset of the unit.

Check transducer and cables (that you can access) for any cracks, cuts or damage.

If there is an extension being used it appears most have locking collars at the connection so that separating would be highly unlikely - I'd leave that towards the bottom of the list of things to check. If you have to check it visually, removing the wave shield will SUCK especially if SS rivets were used. Maybe pull the cable from the helm and see if it moves? The base cable from the transducer should be at least 8-10 feet so again if there is an extender cable you may be able to pull it up from the helm side.

If it's disconnected you will quickly find out!

Another option is if you have an inspection camera laying around. I have one for working on cars, dads sailboat etc. and has been useful in many situations.

Back