Simrad Go7 Display

Triton

Reaction score
Is there anyway to link the Simrad Go7 to another device with a larger screen?

The issue with a tablet is the same with a phone. They are not designed for the direct sunlight and heat (or water exposure from rain) and will eventually auto-shut off due to overheating if mounted like that. It’s a great idea, but in practice would likely be problematic. You need an outdoor designed/rated screen, and typical phones and tablets just are not designed for that kind of direct exposure.

The issue with a tablet is the same with a phone. They are not designed for the direct sunlight and heat (or water exposure from rain) and will eventually auto-shut off due to overheating if mounted like that. It’s a great idea, but in practice would likely be problematic. You need an outdoor designed/rated screen, and typical phones and tablets just are not designed for that kind of direct exposure.

There are rugged and high-nit sunlight viewable screen tablets out there, but they aren't particularly cheap.

Is there anyway to link the Simrad Go7 to another device with a larger screen?
Yes, you can use an app on a larger tablet to view the data. But you can also tap into the NMEA2000 data and install a larger display. It may get expensive. Look into marine NMEA2000 displays. Simrad, Furuno, Maretron etc. this method will not technically mirror the Simrad but should allow display of the same data except fish-finder.

The one thing I’ve learned already with the Simrad is that I won’t ever touch the surface to what they thing can do.
I’m essentially a 70 year old grandpa with an iPhone and uses it just for a tip calculator and nothing else.
Doesn’t help the dealer, for whatever reason, gave me a manual that was in 7 languages, none being english

The one thing I’ve learned already with the Simrad is that I won’t ever touch the surface to what they thing can do.
I’m essentially a 70 year old grandpa with an iPhone and uses it just for a tip calculator and nothing else.
Doesn’t help the dealer, for whatever reason, gave me a manual that was in 7 languages, none being english
I'm a 73 year grandpa that believes he has some technical savvy, but when I read through the manual it all seems very foreign.

I don't care for Simrad for that reason.
I want to go out, enjoy the cruise & a few cold beers. I have no desire to spend the day trying to learn or to use what should be very simple.

Last edited:
I don't care for Simrad for that reason.
I want to go out, enjoy the cruise & a few cold beers. I have no desire to spend the day trying to learn ow to use what should be very simple.
Yes. I think it’s one of those things that will be what you want it to be.
I’ll use the Yamaha page which displays my RPM, speed, fuel, trim, voltage, depth, engine time, and a few other things. That’s all I need 95% of the time. The Nav map is nice for night cruising and for finding the marinas without thinking too much. Maybe the sonar will work well with fishing, will have to see.

as far as everything else, I’m fine. But im very glad I have it, because I enjoy having it all on one screen.

Our Boat came with the simrad go5 mounted in the dash along with the analog gauges. i could barely see the simrad which was a disappointment since we go to many places inter coastal and a few islands. My wife bought me the simrad go9 with the 9” display and it makes a great difference in being able to read the navigation and views of channel markers and other details. I mounted it externally and it looks fine. usability and function was important for us.

Our Boat came with the simrad go5 mounted in the dash along with the analog gauges. i could barely see the simrad which was a disappointment since we go to many places inter coastal and a few islands. My wife bought me the simrad go9 with the 9” display and it makes a great difference in being able to read the navigation and views of channel markers and other details. I mounted it externally and it looks fine. usability and function was important for us.
Can you post a picture of your set up? I’d be curious to check it out. Thanks in advance. :)

Jeff,
This is the only picture I have of it At this time. my analogue gauges are still readable. I removed The simrad go5 and used the existing transducer and power cable on the go9. im having a blank plate made for the go5 opening.

Attachments

• 5AB9DE66-FB48-45D6-A3D1-07C1BB02AE4A.jpeg
    5AB9DE66-FB48-45D6-A3D1-07C1BB02AE4A.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 48
Thanks! I appreciate the picture and visual. Sounds like if one moves up to a larger size Simrad they can just connect to the existing transducer and cable. Nice to know.

There are many features on our Simrad that I'll probably never use. Charts/maps, Radar, sonar, and the fishfinder. As long as I have depth, water temp, gas level, trim, tach, oil pressure, and GPS speed at a glance.....I am satisfied!!!

An additional benefit of the G09 (and G07), if your a bit hard of hearing like I am, is the ability to plug in an external alarm. The G05s internal alarm was all but useless. I was able to mount the G07 where the radio was (so that it was more visible). I love your setup! But not doable in my case though.

Attachments

• DA1B2952-5FEE-49C6-BFC0-6ED507BF4B8C.jpeg
    DA1B2952-5FEE-49C6-BFC0-6ED507BF4B8C.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 32
Back