Simrad to Mercury Communication

BigD

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's involved in creating communication between a Mercury 250L (non digital) and the Simrad 7” G07 XSE Chartplotter/Multifunction Display if it doesn't already exist ?? Can you briefly summarize ?? What does it give you that you wouldn't have without that communication ? I assume engine data ?

Last edited:
In a word . . . . spendy. If it were Yamaha it be a way cheaper direct connection. Mercury uses their own proprietary protocol that needs conversion.

1. Least expensive is Bluetooth to your phone: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/
2. Then There's a stand alone gauge I think you can run through the Simrad too: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/boating-experience/smartcraft/product/merc-monitor
3. Then there's the link box you plug NMEA to from the Simrad: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-link

All that money gets you only a few cool features like in-depth engine stats, tow control and ideal RPM for MPG. (GPH in boat terms). Cool toy is all unless yous a richy.

Edit: You have non-digital, you can nix the tow control.

Good feedback, Rustyhorn. Thanks.

Update: Looks like the bluetooth option is the way to go. Simple, yet effective, and only a couple hundred bucks. App notifies your designated service dealer of an engine fault automatically.

Last edited:
I have the wireless Vessel View to phone/iPad Bluetooth connection. Frankly, it is often a wonky connection. I like the data and information it provides when it works fluidly. Unfortunately, I have found the connection often unreliable and regret buying the Vessel View plug in module.

I have considered linking my Simrad to the Mercury motor as well, but never looked into it in detail because of our under-skirting.

With my under-skirting off currently for electrical system repairs, I had toyed with the idea of having the dealership service department get me a quote on hard wiring this together (Mercury motor and our Simrad G05).

This thread has me again thinking about it, as they finally have all my repair parts in after a 9 month wait, and are starting to repair our boat. If I were to ever do it or have it done, now would be the time. Hmmm….

Last edited:
I have the wireless Vessel View to phone/iPad connection. Frankly, it is often a wonky connection. I like the data and information it provides when it works fluidly. Unfortunately, I have found the connection often unreliable and regret buying the Vessel View plug in module.

I have considered linking my Simrad to the Mercury motor as well, but never looked into it in detail because of our under-skirting.

With my under-skirting off currently for electrical system repairs, I had toyed with the idea of having the dealership service department get me a quote on hard wiring this together (Mercury motor and our Simrad G05).

This thread has me again thinking about it, as they finally have all my repair parts in after a 9 month wait, and are starting to repair our boat. If I were to ever do it or have it done, now would be the time. Hmmm….
On my 2014 RCW I had the dealer upgrade my Garmin ,which took a different transducer .They were able to run the new cable with a fish tape and did not have to remove the wave shield.But it most likely be more cost effective running new cables now with the wave shield off .

I have the wireless Vessel View to phone/iPad connection. Frankly, it is often a wonky connection. I like the data and information it provides when it works fluidly. Unfortunately, I have found the connection often unreliable and regret buying the Vessel View plug in module.

Linking Simrad G07 to Mercury via VesselView is about $1200 or so, labor and parts, but parts are hard to come by right now they tell me. That's what I was just quoted by the dealer. Now that's with a NON digital motor. With the Verado, I think it's simpler and cheaper since it is communication ready. There's no auto-communication to the dealer with engine faults as with the bluetooth method. Bluetooth option is more readily available. No labor charge to install it because it's so simple to do. Lift the motor cover, remove a plug, insert the cable with bluetooth interface, and cable tie it securely. At least that's what the service tech described to me. Each give you engjne data and instant fault analysis.

I installed the wireless Vessel View plugin on the Sunchaser boat we just traded in for the Bennington. There weren't any gauges except a tachometer. I added a ram mount to the helm and used an iPad Air I had laying around. I was able to see speed, tach, oil pressure, hours, etc. plus any fault codes. It also showed how close I was to the recommended service intervals. Unlike Vikingstaff, I always had an excellent connection, (maybe because there was less distance from the motor to the helm)? When we originally bought that boat we were told it had 250 hours on it. When I installed Vessel View it showed it only had a little over 150 hours. The new boat has the Go7 which looks excellent but since it was delivered when it was 28 degrees out, I didn't explore it too much before getting the cover on. Anyway, I thought the vessel view plugin was excellent and well worth the small investment. The only negative was that on hot days the iPad would turn off to cool down. I found myself just using my phone instead after a while.

There may be another alternative, although I'm not a Merc owner. There is or was a Merc N2K gateway that basically converts the proprietary ECM signal to a usable N2K signal that can then be used via NK2 backbone to MFD.

You don't get the fancy emulation that the Vessel View Link provides but it may also be cheaper.

Yamaha tries to get you to buy their gateway as well, but the dirty secret is the ECM already natively puts out N2K through their command link harness so you can tap into that without buying the expensive gateway.

Should be a lot easier but everyone wants to be Apple and control the revenue stream from A-Z.

Originally I was going to do something similar to what you did PCR23 - mount and link to an iPad mini. However, with some of the connectivity issues I had with my iPhone I never explored that further. I only had the Vessel View bluetooth set up for a season and a half before our boat went down for all of last season, so the idea festered. I went into it with BigD’s thinking…a more cost effective solution to getting access to that info.

Wont hurt to at least get a dealer quote for hardwiring to Simrad since it would be easiest and most cost effective now during other repairs. With my digital controls and Verado, it should be somewhat more simply of a set up, and thus slightly more cost effective. However, as BigD also mentioned, who knows if it is even a possibility due to part/component shortages.

…And frankly, I still have my insurance deductible and a “depreciation co-pay” on parts to cover out of pocket on my boat repairs. As a result, I am $1,300 out of pocket just getting the dang thing repaired.

Then, last fall after some talks with Michiman I decided to have them run an extra electrical line from battery/fuse box to helm, for an additional $180-250 (?) out of pocket, for any electronic or stereo sub/amp upgrades I might choose to do in the future while they have the under-skinning off.

Depending on cost, and my wife’s potential “you got to be kidding me” look, I might not be able to add anything else in anyway. Ha, ha.

That said, a thank you to BigD for getting this topic out there at this time. Has me thinking different options.

Last edited:
Back