Single Bimini has covered wagon look

L23250HP

Reaction score
My 2022 single Bimini has a covered wagon look. It curves down in the rear on both sides. Can it be altered so it will be straight on both sides or does it curve down for strength purposes? Dealer says that's just they way the Bimini is made.

Attachments

• IMG_5369.jpeg
    IMG_5369.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 58
Contact local canvas shop as they are the experts and can offer you some different options. I might suggest looking at pictures of pontoons and get a feeling of what you like first

This is the look, straight on the sides, I'm attempting to obtain. Thanks, I will try some canvas shops tomorrow.3a1f0dd2-0f33-48c6-846e-b949679088cd._CR0,347,4395,2300_SX860_QL70_.jpg

More shade with the wagon train. Those pesky pioneers must’ve figured that out. I have the double Bimini wagon train here in Florida and appreciate the shade.

Appears you want more of the curved electric bimini look. Not sure how to switch one you have the regular bimini/frame, but the local canvas shop idea above is probably the only way to try to pull it off after the fact. Good luck. Hopefully someone local can hook you up with a look you like.

P.S. Add on here: We have the curved electric bimini. We like how it looks better (although we bought it for the electric push button operation). However, Timdelta is very much correct. That slight “wagon train” look of the normal bimini does do a better job creating a larger shaded area. Depending on where you boat, that may or may not be a major factor. Being in Michigan ourselves, we can get away with giving up a little shade. If I were down south…I’d want all the shade I could get.

Last edited:
Interesting, my double Bimini does not have that "wagon wheel" design, in fact none of the doubles have them. Yet all the single Bimini's do. I am now interested in understanding why the design changes between these two options, one would thing they are interchangeable other the connection point/zipper.

Attachments

• Racks Wakeboards & Zup.jpg
    Racks Wakeboards & Zup.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the input. My better half is a sun lover and I prefer the shade so we went with a single Bimini. The dealership advised that 35 MPH was max speed if the Bimini is in the up position. They also advise the round stainless steel frame is the strongest (not sure if for wind or if you hit something). I didn’t ask why because I wanted the square frame. The double square frame and the double round frame come straight on the sides. The square frame single comes with a straight side but has a center nylon strap for strength in the wind. I was advised the covered wagon style doesn’t need the center strap, so we went with it. My prior Playcraft pontoon had a double Bimini and had no MPH restrictions. I’m contacting the Bimini company today so I can get the proper info from the horses mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 15
I think it's a tradeoff - do you want to have a straight canvas look but have more exposed framing? Or vise versa?

I personally like that extra droop ear to cover the framing and provide a smidge more shade. From a structural standpoint it may help keep the canvas a little more taut so when running fast it's less likely to billow around. On the flip side, the snaps on my droops are starting to tear off since they experience a lot of wind load when going 30+. Some of that can be mitigated by trimming the bow down to have the bimini more level, but you lose 3-4mph in the process.

Tradeoffs.

Last edited:
My 2022 single Bimini has a covered wagon look. It curves down in the rear on both sides. Can it be altered so it will be straight on both sides or does it curve down for strength purposes? Dealer says that's just they way the Bimini is made.
My boat had a rear bimini canvas like yours, with the triangles of fabric that came down on the corners. When I was ordering the front frame and canvas, I asked about that and said I wanted it to be straight across. The dealer told me that it would come the same way, as that's how they sew them.

I purchased all new canvas from the dealer, front and rear. When I received it, to my surprise, both front and rear were straight across. The other plus side to this, is you don't have to remember to unsnap those triangle pieces. My rear frame still has the sticker warning to unsnap before closing, but it is no longer needed.

Back