Single or double bimini Houston

nickevans10

Reaction score
I have already submitted my order for a 22 LFB and currently have a double bimini ordered based on recommendation from salesman. I live in Houston where it gets very hot in the summer and he said it's the only way to go.

He also said getting in done with factory build is best way to go and cheaper than doing aftermarket.

My reservations were around the look of the double bimini and the ability to get it up and down.

I've already searched the threads here and I've heard some for and some against. Would appreciate any feedback based on my location.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have just gotten one with the double but have not put them up yet since so late in the season. I do have a friend that has a 2010 Benny that we have been out with him a lot since he got it and it is very nice for everyone to be in the shade. I do not think you will go wrong. You do not have to put both up. You can just put the back one up and leave the front one down. The front one has a zipper that attaches it to the rear one.

We bought a boat that was in stock. It had everything we essentially wanted, but my wife insisted on having a front Bimini installed. She was right. Our boat is in SW Florida and it gets very hot here. We ended up paying the dealer about 1k more that what it would have cost if it was installed at the factory. The dealer ordered it fram Bennington and installed It correctly. We fortunately bought the boat right before the world changed from the Covid outbreak.
I

We bought a boat that was in stock. It had everything we essentially wanted, but my wife insisted on having a front Bimini installed. She was right. Our boat is in SW Florida and it gets very hot here. We ended up paying the dealer about 1k more that what it would have cost if it was installed at the factory. The dealer ordered it fram Bennington and installed It correctly. We fortunately bought the boat right before the world changed from the Covid outbreak.
I
Have you been happy that you got the double bimini?

Bought a boat with just the rear bimini. I just picked up the frame for the front, along with new canvas for the front and rear, along with new boots (covers for them when stowed.) The total just for parts was over $3,800. Plus $400 for installation and $200 to modify the mooring cover to accommodate the new front bimini.

Would have been much cheaper if it was ordered with a double.

Just took out the boat last weekend for the first time, it was 90 degrees on the water, in November, and everyone was congregating to the rear with the shade. Can't wait to install the front.

I’m in south Florida and have a single. I fish and wouldn’t be able to with a forward frame

The double Bimini is one of our best options!!! My wife had a bout with skin cancer a few years back so getting it was a no brainer! Built in shade all the time! Once we put it up in the spring.......It stays up all summer! Not that we are lazy we just keep it up! 2 minor drawbacks......We have a couple low bridges that we have to put it down than back up. Then on the way back put it down again then back up! PIA!!! We stayed away from that bridge this year. Ha! The other drawback is we don't like going over 35 or so with it up. Just don't want to push it.....

The double Bimini is one of our best options!!! My wife had a bout with skin cancer a few years back so getting it was a no brainer! Built in shade all the time! Once we put it up in the spring.......It stays up all summer! Not that we are lazy we just keep it up! 2 minor drawbacks......We have a couple low bridges that we have to put it down than back up. Then on the way back put it down again then back up! PIA!!! We stayed away from that bridge this year. Ha! The other drawback is we don't like going over 35 or so with it up. Just don't want to push it.....
That's why you need a power bimini. LOL. Not a single toon had a power bimini at LNM. They said it was so easy to take them up and down, and to save costs, they never ordered them.

Last edited:
LNM? Lake NM I’m guessing

That's why you need a power bimini. LOL. Not a single toon had a power bimini at LNM. They said it was so easy to take them up and down, and to save costs, they never ordered them.
Do they make power double Biminis?!?

We thought we’d use the double Bimini all the time. We don’t. Heck, we never really use the rear Bimini once we got our base tans. To us, it was a mistake and a waste of money. Plus, the frame is constantly in the way. Ugh! We used it twice... once during a rain storm, and one with guests who were sun shy. Granted, we boat in upstate New York, but we still have 90 degree summer days.
EDB8792D-AE4C-4757-9293-A36B06C1C24B.jpeg

A must to get relief from the sun. We have it and our fair skinned Irish family wouldn't have it any other way

I opted for the curved single on my order. Been boating for over 30 years all in fiberglass boats and seldom used the bimini on those boats so we stuck with the single. My understanding is the curved is about 7" shorted than the standard but I really like the sleek look of the curved.

We use our single bimini every single time we are out. Fair skinned daughter and it's just nice to get out of the sun for a little while.

Even here in the great white north.

Maybe assess how often is everyone out in the sun now down there, and is that fine, or do you and your family covet shade as much as possible? Fair skinned? Overheat easily? Burn easily? If yes, then a double bimini might be helpful to have. If not, then you probably have options and could go without. Thinking through some of these type of questions might help guide you, as you have some very good advice from both perspectives above.

Anticipated usage might also help: lots of all day long trips loaded up full of people, or smaller or shorter outings with maybe half a load of people? Lots of trips with a boat full of people taking up both back and front seating, or smaller groups that can move to be under a single? Lots of long slow half and full day cruises and laying around, or a lot of water sport trips and gunning it around a lot in shorter outings?

Pros: Complete shade whenever you want it, safer in avoiding sun exposure, cheaper to get now than to add one later, and if added now it is under warranty.

Cons: Increased cost at initial purchase, in the way up front when it is down, more of an eye sore and obstacle when down, and for some they just don’t look good (kind of a house boat looking vibe when up) compared to the normal bimini, and certainly not as nice or speak looking as the curved bimini.

If you plan on tubing and skiing, find our what the speed is rated for while open

Back