Skinning Strategy

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello, I am considering skinning my two log, 2019 22 GSR with Sea Legs (Ultra Legs) and 115hp motor.

is it worth it and is the strategy to skin the first half of the pontoon, back half, or entire length.

Thanks.

Bump for an answer. Which part of the skin is the most beneficial?
TT

On a poontoon, the rear (aft) half would be the most benefit. Most pontoons have the aft half of the boat “dragging” so the skinning would have the most affect in the aft. I would want to have at least 3/4 of the bottom skinned if I was doing the project. That would be the most benefit.

I think it also matters of a 2 log or 3 log. I think the 2 log get more surge up front that the Tritoons. Thus, based on your 2 log pontoon Pbakk, I would recommend underskinnning the entire undercarriage. If you had a tritoon, then I’d say you could get away with skipping the first few feet and just under-skinning the back 80% of the boat. I think MGK’s video above highlights the surge well for a dual toon set up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I have a project to do before I put the pontoon in the water. I would guess it is a little more complex with Sea Legs.

That's a great video! Really shows the benefit.
I don't have access to aluminum, but I can get black ABS sheet in 1/8 and 1/4" thick for free. Really tough stuff.
Ed, what do you think about this material?
TT

I’d go with the 1/8” to save weight. There’s just the one area where the bow wakes exert the most force and if the thinner material can’t handle it then you would just need to replace that one panel with 1/4”. No great loss since you’re getting the material for free. Might be a good idea to use some stainless fender washers between the screws and the abs panels to spread the load, knowing that plastic doesn’t have the flexibility of aluminum sheets.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I have a project to do before I put the pontoon in the water. I would guess it is a little more complex with Sea Legs.
I think so. Ideally the Sea Legs would be put on after underskinning, and then it is all flush, no gaps, etc. (Obviously not an option here).

For you, I would think you’ll have to cut and fit around them as best you can. Not sure you will be able to prevent water from getting in around seams between the under-skinning and Sea Legs.

Honestly I have never seen the Sea Legs on an UN-skinned boat, so I don’t know what it looks like to gauge the increased complexity of the job. Hopefully not TOO complex...fingers crossed for you.

I'll respectfully disagree with the above answer. If your boat is capable of anything over 15 mph then the entire underside should be skinned. I've posted this video before, but it's worth a look to those that haven't seen it.

Wow

I think so. Ideally the Sea Legs would be put on after underskinning, and then it is all flush, no gaps, etc. (Obviously not an option here).

For you, I would think you’ll have to cut and fit around them as best you can. Not sure you will be able to prevent water from getting in around seams between the under-skinning and Sea Legs.

Honestly I have never seen the Sea Legs on an UN-skinned boat, so I don’t know what it looks like to gauge the increased complexity of the job. Hopefully not TOO complex...fingers crossed for you.
This has been on my radar as a project I would like to do for a while but just haven't gotten to it. I plan to cover from the first crossmember back if I ever get around to doing it. I have a lot of wires and hydraulics running under the boat so always thought that making a cheat sheet of where things are located before I cover them up would be a good idea. Mine is a tri-toon but the general idea is the same.

1 under.jpg2 under.jpg

I LOVE your idea of making a cheat sheet of where everything is at before under-skinning your boat. I optioned mine up on my order, so I have no idea where everything is at underneath the under-skinning. I wish I had a cheat sheet, if for no other reason just for my own curiosity. Brilliant Idea Daveyj!!!

I did my 20SV with aluminum roofing material starting in the back to the front. No more surging of waves hitting the floor joist metal and a much smoother ride.

Yes, MW, more info please.

One of my better option choices during my build.
00A54499-A7AE-4489-A2AF-493FC92ADF76.jpeg

Are you able to close up the area above the toons?!? Water must be getting up there while you're underway. Just an observation.....
I thought the same thing when I first saw it so I lied down on the floor to peek underneath while my wife drove and although open not much made it’s way in

Back