Slide anchor shore spike

We used ours this weekend at the river. The sand anchor worked great and we are planning on getting another, one to leave at camp and one to take to the sand bar. We never planned on beaching our new pontoon but have had to every time. Our box anchor held most but not all of the time. We also tried that bungee type rope but no way that was working on the river, maybe a lake..

Well I finally used my sand spike. I bought the large one. Just as I thought, works great on a day with little wind but I was at the South sand bar on Torch Lake, MI last Saturday and the winds were 15-20 mph. That spike did not hold my boat and I didn't think it would. I didn't even have my bimini top deployed either. It would have been even worse if I did. Luckily I had my large slide anchor box anchor out. Otherwise I love the spike on a non-windy day. I think they sell an even larger ones for boats over 30 feet / houseboats. I'll have to buy that one next. My boat is very heavy so it takes some serious anchoring to get it to remain in place. Heck on a windy day with the bimini top open and using that large box anchor in deep water even THAT doesn't hold my boat.

How do you mount a pvc pipe to this? Epoxy? What is the OD of the auger? Or, what size PVC pipe fits it.
Sorry, I forgot about this. I made another this evening, and it reminded me. I used 1 1/4 schedule 40. . I chamfered the edge slightly then used my heat gun to soften the PVC... Auger slides right in. Drilled the hole in the PVC, and put the bolt through. I think I will give this one a light sand and paint it a bright color, more maybe match the boat.

AWK

Finally! I've been checking for the answer every day.

Actually, I forgot all about it. But we were at the beach a week ago or so, and this would have come in handy after our boat came loose because I didn't run up on the sand far enough. I'm too cautious, I guess. And I like my transducer right where it is.

How big of a T do you need to drive this into the sand? I'm envisioning a very small diameter pvc for the T handle, and then store it in the auger shaft when not using it.

Finally! I've been checking for the answer every day.

Actually, I forgot all about it. But we were at the beach a week ago or so, and this would have come in handy after our boat came loose because I didn't run up on the sand far enough. I'm too cautious, I guess. And I like my transducer right where it is.

How big of a T do you need to drive this into the sand? I'm envisioning a very small diameter pvc for the T handle, and then store it in the auger shaft when not using it.
. This one I made has uses two 8 inch lengths and the tee, so the width equals about 17 1/2 inches. I didn't glue these in so I can take it apart to store easier.AWK

Back