Slip tie up

Gvoz42

Reaction score
Newbie question here.

My family and I are making a trip down to cave run lake in Kentucky to visit some family. We have a slip rented for the weekend that we will be there at longbow marina.

This is the first time I will be tying up in a slip for an overnight/extended period of time. Usually only the quick 5-10minutes to gas up or run into our local marina to grab ice/food.

We usually trailer in and out everyday so this is new to us.

So my question is...what's the best way to tie up? We have a 2021 20 svl with 2 cleats bow and 2 cleats stern. I believe that the slip will have dock on both sides and the bow as well but could only have bow/one side with another boat on the side...unfortunately won't know till we get there as it will be determined by what is available. So what's the best way?

And pictures would be great if you have them. Just want our baby to be safe

Tha k you. Happy boating!

Last edited:
Longbow is along way back Carpenter Branch. I’ve been there many times. The boat traffic is very slow and no wake so tie up is easy. If you can tie up on either side, I would put out 2/3 bumpers on the left/port side and tie up bow a stern. That way rides can use the side gate. You should have o problems. Make sure you remove valuables from the boat. Just t be sure. I don’t remember what kind of security they have. Enjoy!

I suggest 3 bumpers. Place a line from the bow cleat to the nearest cleat on the dock. Place a line from the stern cleat to the nearest cleat on the dock. If there is a cleat on the dock neat mid-ship, run a spring line from the stern cleat to the dock cleat near mid-ship and either continue the line to the bow cleat if line is long enough or add a spring line for the bow to the dock cleat near mid-ship. The bow and stern lines keep the pontoon a set distance from the dock. The spring line(s) keep the pontoon from shifting front to back. See image for reference.
boat_mooring_lines.jpg

I suggest 3 bumpers. Place a line from the bow cleat to the nearest cleat on the dock. Place a line from the stern cleat to the nearest cleat on the dock. If there is a cleat on the dock neat mid-ship, run a spring line from the stern cleat to the dock cleat near mid-ship and either continue the line to the bow cleat if line is long enough or add a spring line for the bow to the dock cleat near mid-ship. The bow and stern lines keep the pontoon a set distance from the dock. The spring line(s) keep the pontoon from shifting front to back. See image for reference.
View attachment 30200
Great illustration Mike!

Back