Snaps or Clips

kkitowski

Reaction score
One of the items we are working on with our dealer is that we ordered the mooring cover with the quick clips vs snaps.  The cover and boat came with snaps.  This can't easily be corrected, as to keep the boat looking the cleanest would have been to replace all fence panels and cover entirely. 

Question -- what to people think about the quick clips vs snaps?  Is it that big of a deal or benefit?  Do they last?  Are they easier or harder to use? 

I have to give a reply to my dealer as to what I want to be the next steps.  I partially want to get what I ordered originally, but have other concessions I want the dealer to provide and note sure this one is the one to pursue.

Any comments are appreciated!

Clips all the way. But I do understand it could be an ordeal to correct this. We have snaps on the bow and stern, with clips along both sides and the clips are a breeze. That being said the snaps are just as convenient, but the clips are invisible as the slots are hidden under the rails. Good luck... Feel free to ask me any question you might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say snaps all the way. For me anyways. To me they seem much more secure. I guess depending on where your boat is and what kind of weather it may be subjected to. I find the snaps to be quite simple to use. I have heard some on here complain about the clips breaking pretty easy, but I don't know that first hand.

Snaps . I was going to order the clips ,dealer told me  the few he had sold ,he replaced with snaps 

Thanks for the fast feedback guys.  I think I'll pursue the dealer correcting other major items over this one...

I have the clips and I'm so glad I do have them. Clips is the way for me. No problems what so ever. This will be the third year for the clips.

Clips here also and no problems so far.  I don't think they would be as reliable as snaps for trailering with cover on which I do not do anyways.

I have the clips and I'm so glad I do have them. Clips is the way for me. No problems what so ever. This will be the third year for the clips.
Also my 3rd season and I haven't had any trouble with my clips.

We went with the clips, they work good.  There is still about 10 snaps on the front of the cover, where it covers the front deck.  Don't need to fuss with trying to hit an exact spot, like you would with snaps on the sides.  Just slip the clip on and pull it back as you work your way back.  Easier to pull the cover tight and get the last few on the back too.  Unhooking them is easier too, just have to get the technique down for pulling them out of the slot.

The clips were actually one of the big selling points for my wife.  She hated dealing with the snaps on my in-laws pontoon.  Almost went with a Premier because they market theirs as having a 'patented' clip, until we looked closer at the Benningtons and the salesman told us we could get the clips. 

What are clips? Is there a pic somewhere?

I just used my quick clips for the first time tonight. Wow it was so easy and works great!

Can clips be added to a cover with snaps?

What are clips? Is there a pic somewhere?
I posted some pictures (crude as they are) of the piece that get's attached to the cover.

Can clips be added to a cover with snaps?
Yes, but there is a caveat.  My dealer told me the clip piece is normally held onto the cover with 2 "snaps" (essentially riveted onto the cover).  You would have the snaps you currently have, plus then in between those snaps you would have the quick clip installed to have 2 more snap heads on the cover.  Essentially the entirely side of the boat you would see snap, snap, snap, snap, snap, etc. 

The other problem you will have is that the snap on the cover sit higher than what the clips would.  So, while you could attach the quick clips and the snaps for extra security, you would have a ~~~ up and down stretch all the way down the sides, and not a straight line of the cover....

Thanks for posting those pics!  I've never seen them before...

So, how do they clip to the boat?

I posted some pictures (crude as they are) of the piece that get's attached to the cover.

Yes, but there is a caveat.  My dealer told me the clip piece is normally held onto the cover with 2 "snaps" (essentially riveted onto the cover).  You would have the snaps you currently have, plus then in between those snaps you would have the quick clip installed to have 2 more snap heads on the cover.  Essentially the entirely side of the boat you would see snap, snap, snap, snap, snap, etc. 

The other problem you will have is that the snap on the cover sit higher than what the clips would.  So, while you could attach the quick clips and the snaps for extra security, you would have a ~~~ up and down stretch all the way down the sides, and not a straight line of the cover....

If the clips were added to a cover with snaps and used in a boat house only, could you just use the clips and ignore the snaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting those pics!  I've never seen them before...

So, how do they clip to the boat?
The J clip portion goes under the top rail where there is a channel in the aluminum rail.  If you feel on the bottom of your rail, you should feel that channel.

If the clips were added to a cover with snaps and used in a boat house only, could you just use the clips and ignore the snaps?
Yes, you can use the clips and ignore the snaps and leave the snaps loose

Has anyone here had the clips added to their snap cover, if so who did the work and what did it cost?

Has anyone here added the clips themselves, if so where did you get the parts and what tools were needed? 

My vote goes for the quick clips.  The dealer threw them in for free on ours, and I am so glad that he did.   I can put the cover on my boat by myself in less than 10 minutes.   And taking the cover off with the clips are a breeze!

My vote goes for the quick clips.  The dealer threw them in for free on ours, and I am so glad that he did.   I can put the cover on my boat by myself in less than 10 minutes.   And taking the cover off with the clips are a breeze!
same here +1  This was a must for my wife and we love them. We hated putting the cover , I added the extended AFT deck too, makes it very easy.  If your boat stays in the water the  extended AFT deck is a must on putting a cover on...10 mins is about right. Well worth every penny

Back