Some interesting info for you f150 yamaha folks.

Wild and Free

Reaction score
If you ever start hearing a funny noise coming from your engine read this thread on the balancer gear issues Yamaha has.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/292783-06-f150-squeaking-noise-no-not-drive-shaft.html

There are many videos on youtube that demonstrate the noise before and after bad balancers are replaced.

The issue was for all F150s prior to 2010, they updated the gears in 2010.

I have read on many sites and seems there is no rhyme or reason to when they fail, some fail within 50 hours to some with several thousand hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone would like to sell their F150 or SHO before it has any of these issues (and it will, they're all doing it..........I read it on the internet :rolleyes: ), I'm still willing to pay top dollar......quite possibly all the way up to trade-in value for a low hour engine. ;) Let me take that unreliable Yamaha 4 stroke outboard off your hands today!!!!!

Was trying to sell my Yamaha 150 to upgrade to a 200. Decided to keep it and send the ecm in for an reflash to try that for a season and see how much of a difference it makes, I don't need much more power so If 15-20 hp gains they claim works well I will be happy.

Not sure how to take your post, derogitory or just being a smarty pants?

Just trying to share something useful just in case someone comes accross this problem not only on there boat but to help some one else out should it arise.

I can almost positively assure you Ben was not being negative in any way. Thinking he was trying to seize the moment and pick up a motor in the heat of someone's worrying! He's a funny guy like that!! Haha

Just my sense of humor. No offense intended. The internet just makes me laugh sometimes LOL! Rumors spread like a cancer.

I'll still take one of those low hour Yamaha's though :) .

Did Kaydano get that new Mercury 150 four stroke yet?

Yea Kaydano, give us an update!

Yeah, I got it, but I don't have pics yet and didn't want SemperFi to jump on me! Ha ha. Too excited to take any I guess. But, since you asked.....

Holy crap that thing is a beast! You know how Big K's signature says something like "If you're scared, say you're scared"? Well, first time I went WOT during break in, it scared the crap out of me. I hit 41 mph, and it started porpoising. A trim adjustment was all that it needed, but I didn't know it was going to do that until it actually did it. 41 mph is just stupid fast in a pontoon boat if you ask me. You guys that are close to 50 mph are just plain nuts! I was at 32 mph with the Spit Fire, and the jump to 41 mph... All I can say is it feels way worse than the numbers show. The best way to describe it is this: 115 is to minivan as 150 is to Mustang GT. Whole new boat.

I have a borrowed Black Max on it right now (aluminum prop). An Enertia is on the truck for delivery tomorrow from one EXTREMELY GENEROUS forum member. I won't name him unless he's okay with it.

My 10 year old was airborne on the tube tonight. I don't mean jumping a wake, I mean he took off (and not like Bob and Doug). I turned into the wind and the tube lifted out of the water like an airplane wing. He was probably 5 or 6 feet in the air. I immediately cut the throttle and he came back down to earth. Or down to lake. Scared the crap out of him AND me. He held on, but immediately wanted to come back in the boat. We got him back in the saddle again later, but it was a dangerous situation. I can laugh about it now that nothing happened though. He used to lay on the tube on his back, pretending to sleep, because the 115 was too lame. Ha ha ha. Respect the 150 little dude. Respect the 150.

Dano

You're all smiles my friend. I can see it all the way up here in the thumb of Michigan. I'm glad you made the jump to the 150. Keep me posted on that prop. There's 2 people that are hoping it's everything you wanted. Wink wink...

Todd

All I have to say is... Congrats, smiles for miles is what it is all about. I am happy for you and your family.

Congrats Dan! Sounds like a beast

Can't beat a 150, unless it's a 250 or 350. :D

Kaydano, I think this deserves a new thread. :) It should be have some very good comparisons for everyone to read.

kaydano, I am so glad you are happy with the move, I can see myself doing the same possibly next year

I had started a post on something similar to this but as I have an R series I only used that model but I did find the statistics quite revealing:

Kaydano, I think this deserves a new thread. :) It should be have some very good comparisons for everyone to read.

To get back on topic here again!!!!!!

With balancer noise

Nice find.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Wild and Free! And thanks to all for the congrats. It's been a long and depressing road, but I still can't believe a 150 is attached to my boat and how quick it all happened.

I will start a new thread on the upgrade as soon as I've collected a few more thoughts.

Link, I know you've been curious on the steering, and I will know a lot more tomorrow after taking half a dozen teenagers out, but so far it really hasn't been noticeably harder to steer than my 115 was. I won't be doing a fast full crank on the wheel at WOT like I did with the 115, but if you compare them "RPM to RPM", I'm guessing the 150 is harder to steer. But from a practical point of view, as in "mph to mph", I would say they are very close to steering the same. In other words, at say 25 mph, both take about the same amount of force to steer. The only reason I can think of why this would be is the rpms on the 150 are quite a bit lower than the 115 for a given speed (such as 25 mph), thus the steering torque is lower? Somebody that knows can chime in on that. I will post more tomorrow.

Back