Sony Stereo Radio With Mega Bass Feature-Sounds Incredible!

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
The install of a Sony MEX-XB100BT with four stock 6.5" Kicker speakers was completed today. My factory supplied Sony head unit sounded pitiful so I decided to try the Sony MEX stereo radio with Mega Bass instead, hoping for some decent bass improvement without having to install a sub woofer..

To say it knocks my socks off would be a gross understatement. We listen mostly to CD's on our pontoon stereo. With the Sony Mega Bass CD's sound crisp, clear and brilliant with amazing deep powerful bass, no distortion at very high volume levels, I'm amazed. It's hard for me to believe the bass coming out of this setup. I have no intention of pursuing a sub woofer or adding additional speakers, at least for now.

Among it's very nice features it has a 4X40W= 160 RMS output & 100WX4= 400W peak power output, some very nice Bluetooth and USB features and a hand held remote.

IMPORTANT: You need to do a Master Reset before using the unit and pay attention to the various SOUND/EQ settings to maximize this unit's performance, this is explained in the owner's manual.

This is not a marine radio but it should be fine in a fresh water installation. I have had numerous boats over the years in non salt water environments with non marine car radios with nary a problem related to corrosion. 

Review here: http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/3885-sony-mex-xb100bt-receiver-review

Also check it our here:  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB100BT-Hi-Power-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00SCS26KE

The owners manual states that for best performance it need a dedicated 15 amp/14AWG circuit. And a always connected direct 12VDC connection if you want to retain memory settings.

7/21/15 EDIT: The more I use this Sony Mega Bass stereo radio the more I like it. Exception though for the display being washed out in the sunlight. Acceptable trade off for an otherwise stellar performer.

I am not a Sony stockholder and have no connection to them except for this fantastic radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter it is not a marine radio? Or did I miss that?

Is it plug and play compatible with the existing Sony units on the boats, power and speaker connections, wired remotes, etc?

Is it plug and play compatible with the existing Sony units on the boats, power and speaker connections, wired remotes, etc?
My installer said there was a plug adapter he needed that didn't come with the unit but he was able to improvise by splicing two available plugs together, one from the old radio, one from the new one.. The speaker plug is plug-n-play on my boat. The install job took him  less than 30 minutes.

My installer said there was a plug adapter he needed that didn't come with the unit but he was able to improvise by splicing two available plugs together, one from the old radio, one from the new one.. Everything else is plug-n-play.
It uses a 15a fuse, so requires at least 14g wire for power connection. I need to check what gauge wire Bennington used to my head unit to see if that would work in my case, without modification.

It uses a 15a fuse, so requires at least 14g wire for power connection. I need to check what gauge wire Bennington used to my head unit to see if that would work in my case, without modification.
No problem in my case, radio it replaced was already on a 15 amp circuit.

It looks like this Unit will work with the Factory Sony remotes Bennintion installed on many of our boats.  I noticed my factory sony remote on my QCW Uses a 3.5mm Headphone jack. Under closer inspection I can see the Headphone Jack/ Remote port on the back of the Head Unit

Sony%20HU_zpsyxpmkshe.jpg

When you say Kicker speakers are you referring to the stock ones? My current bass situation is terrible. Curious on if just a head unit change is in order.

I think Im going to buy one based off your review and try one out. Thanks for the link
You won't regret it.

When you say Kicker speakers are you referring to the stock ones? My current bass situation is terrible. Curious on if just a head unit change is in order.
Yes stock Kickers.

Prior to installing the Sony Mega Bass my Bennington Sony head unit was pitiful sounding. The first CD I put in the Mega Bass was a Mark Knopfler and it never ever sounded better on anything I ever listened to it on bar none. Same Kicker 6.5" speakers! Bass is deep, loud and clear with no distortion, like from another planet,, holy S%@T Batman. My first time listen jaw drop was a real fly catcher.... 

You won't regret it.
It will be here tomarrow (gotta love PRIME). Ill  throw it in and let ya know how she sounds but from your discription its gonna be a huge upgrade from my stock head unit. I have a Nice system lined up for my boat but it may be a few more months b4 it comes to life. This will tie me over.

I got these Wetsounds SS-6.5 Sub's These suckers weight 20 Lbs each and will take over 200 watts each. I to dont want to take up room under my Helm with a Sub box. Plus being this small I can place these 6.5 inc SUBs (same size as the factory Kickers) all around the boat. :)  
31421615-AB8F-4D38-B563-A5CC3B5FF973_zpswg0qiuda.jpg

I just used the Remote control to give you a Idea of size

9EC55BCD-1014-4083-AD34-F388A4C7EF5A_zpszzzk1cll.jpg

When you say Kicker speakers are you referring to the stock ones? My current bass situation is terrible.
Yes stock 6.5" Kickers. I would jump on it.

It will be here tomarrow (gotta love PRIME). Ill  throw it in and let ya know how she sounds but from your discription its gonna be a huge upgrade from my stock head unit. I have a Nice system lined up for my boat but it may be a few more months b4 it comes to life. This will tie me over.

I got these Wetsounds SS-6.5 Sub's These suckers weight 20 Lbs each and will take over 200 watts each. I to dont want to take up room under my Helm with a Sub box. Plus being this small I can place these 6.5 inc SUBs (same size as the factory Kickers) all around the boat. :)  

Can't wait for your report.

Nice, I was eyeing up those 6.5's. Definitely would love to hear your thoughts on them. Thought it might be nice for a little extra deep fill up front. Did you ever figure anything out with the 808's

This forum is awful for my bank account. Now I think I need this too... it would be nice to get the extra power boost but also to be able to do Satellite radio when we're out on Lake Powell for days on end with no cell service. I tried to add it to my existing stereo but they don't make the tuner it uses anymore. 

It looks like this Unit will work with the Factory Sony remotes Bennintion installed on many of our boats.  I noticed my factory sony remote on my QCW Uses a 3.5mm Headphone jack. Under closer inspection I can see the Headphone Jack/ Remote port on the back of the Head Unit

Sony%20HU_zpsyxpmkshe.jpg
It comes with a hand held remote too.

It states front USB ,I didn't see it 

I found it ,on the right .

Question now is .Can I close the helm door with a thumb drive in place ?

61FiBZz-MbL._SL1200_.jpg

Being a sony head unit will it directly plug into the existing wiring harness for the speakers?  Also when you say "stock" kickers do you know what model?  My boat is a few years older and probably has a different stock speaker model.  They have potential but are seriously under powered. 

When do you plan on installing these????  I am very curious as I have the smaller helm and do not want to cram it with electronics either. 

Back