speaker upgrade

Nick

Reaction score
I have a Sony CDX-GT260MP 208 Watt( 4x52 watt) output stereo in my new boat. I do not know much about sound systems and was wondering what type(watt capacity?) speakers I could upgrade too to get the best sound quality for my system. The stock speakers are less than ideal and I already had to re-sauder a couple after 2 weeks of use. Should I look into an amp as well to boost the system? Thanks

That's a personal prefference question, if you are not happy with what you have, then an upgrade is in order.

Talk to a reputable audio dealer, or look at the Crutchfield catalog for some options.

As for the amp and speakers, always buy an amp rated for more wattage output than you think you will need, the reasoning behind this is the distortion level[also known as total harmonic distortion or thd] in any amp goes way up if the amp is pushed to it's limit. Distortion is what kills speakers, so having an amp that works in its mid level keeps the amp cool and the speakers happy.

As with horsepower, it's all relative to cost, so how loud do you want to spend? :D

With speakers the hgher watts are the max they can handle. If the stereo has less power it is not a problem. Like a tire rated at 160 mph will work fine at 80 mph. Get great speakers that can handle an amp. You can also add the amp later.

Well now,as i stated before, pushing the amp to it's maximum output creates a high level of harmonic distortion, which kills speakers. If you look at the specs for any given amp, you will find a graph that shows T.H.D. in relation to power output in watts.

As the amp approaches maximum power output, the Total Harmonic Distortion curve takes a sharp increase, and if looked at on an ocilliscope, it produces square and triangular waveforms that are not a part of the music, and the speakers where not designed to reproduce.

Your best bet is to buy matched components that where designed to work with each other within their design limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a powered subwoofer to mine for a quick and easy fix for the summer. Like it so much I may not mess with an amp and subs later. Shop for your marine stuff at "online car stereo.com" . Overton's wanted $128 for a pair of Kenwood 6 1/2" and I bought the exact speakers for $128 and got TWO pair with free shipping from Online.Worth a try. Steve

Back