Speed with 150HO G2 and 22feet pontoon

Mathieu Quesnel

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a new Bennington SPX 22 (3 tubes) with an Evinrude 150hp HO G2. Initially with three guys on the boat, I was able to get 42mph. Then with 9 persons (4 adults and 5 children) I got 33mph. After only 3 rides, I was unable to get more then 23mph with 6 persons on the boat. My dealer took it back to the shop. Supposedly they have change thing and even tried a new motor but the max speed that I am now getting is 30mph!!!!! Can I know what speed do you get with a 150hp HO G2 and 22-23 feet pontoon? I really need to get this boat to the normal and need help and proof from other owners.
Thank you
Matt

how dirty are the toons? i ask because mine stays in water and when they get all dirty i have lost over 7mph before just from that alone.

We have a 22’ with Yamaha 150 and SPS. Had 7 adults on board, half tank gas, fairly smooth lake condition hit 31 yesterday. It is kept on a lift, toons could probably use a light cleaning. Passenger weight positioned throughout boat.

Matt, go out on the boat alone and note your RPMs and WOT, then do the same with 5 others on the boat. Post the results here and it may give some members some insight and thus suggestions

Have you checked to see if the logs have water in them? A leaking weld will bring down the speed really quick.

Have you checked to see if the logs have water in them? A leaking weld will bring down the speed really quick.

Good suggestion. This has happened to me.

24SSLX W/G1 200 etec, 42mph at 5300rpm (where the motor should be) add 6-7 people, 37mph, don’t remember the rpm. We run heavy with lots of coolers and junk, usually always above 1/2 tank. Toons are always clean.

Last edited:
Hi
I bought a new Bennington SPX 22 (3 tubes) with an Evinrude 150hp HO G2. Initially with three guys on the boat, I was able to get 42mph. Then with 9 persons (4 adults and 5 children) I got 33mph. After only 3 rides, I was unable to get more then 23mph with 6 persons on the boat. My dealer took it back to the shop. Supposedly they have change thing and even tried a new motor but the max speed that I am now getting is 30mph!!!!! Can I know what speed do you get with a 150hp HO G2 and 22-23 feet pontoon? I really need to get this boat to the normal and need help and proof from other owners.
Thank you
Matt
Check RPMs first!! fuel lines, filters for a load of bad gas. Dirty toons would be next. That’s quite a drop, if the dealer looked at it and can’t anything wrong I’d disagree. An 22’ S series with 150HO should easily be in the 40’s light and high 30’s loaded.

22' SSX with 2 people F-175 Yamaha did 41GPS chopy water, top up.

You said the dealer changed the engine and got the same thing? If so...he used the same prop that has a spun hub!! The G2s use a completely new prop design & it sounds like the problem is that prop. Please let us know! ⚓⚓

Back