Spotlight Option

Butchkid

Reaction score
I decided I needed a spotlight since I was boating at night so often, and there are always crazy people on the water sitting without realizing their anchor light is off. It's also possible they do realize it and don't care. Either way my docking lights weren't designed to light up the night, and so I needed a strong spotlight. I went to Lowes and found the Stanley 2M Spotlight. It is 2 million candle power or 1365 Lumen. It plugs in to the 12v on the boat which keeps it charged. This thing will give you a sun tan at midnight if you aren't careful with it. The one drawback is that it is definitely not a flashlight. You can't keep it on for long periods of time because the battery will go dead quickly. It's not really designed for that. I plug it in and keep it sitting by my feet while I'm cruising at night, and if I see something in the darkness I can immediately spot it. It's cheap ($25), and for spotting works really well. I would suggest a flashlight as well though because it is simply too bright to use on the boat for normal lighting purposes.

gallery_82_73_220699.jpg

Another option that I have found is the Streamlight Waypoint spotlight. I am a firefighter and this light has been advertised to the fire service however I think it will serve the boating community well also. Think I may ask for on for xmas.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_7239_streamlight_waypoint_high_performance_pistol_grip_spotlight/

Throw a powerful beam over 700 yds. With a handheld light under 7” long. C4 LED technology cuts handheld spotlights down to size.

• Deep-dish parabolic reflector throws a tight long targeting beam with optimal peripheral illumination

• Three output levels up to a blazing 210 lumens / 115,000 candela peak beam intensity—plus Emergency strobe

• Combines power, portability, and convenience with long runtime using 4 C-cell batteries; or endless runtime with the 12vDC power cord.

• Extreme durability with Hi impact polycarbonate housing, unbreakable lens, and shock-proof lifetime C4 LED

• Easy one-handed control with on-off trigger switch and secondary rotary switch to select High, Low, or Emergency Signal mode.

• Available in all black or yellow

. Switch to low purposeful 20 lumens of light with an astonishing 120 hour runtime.

. Lifetime warranty from Streamlight

. IPX4 rated design, water resistant operation.

$60.99

waypointspotlight.jpg

Another option that I have found is the Streamlight Waypoint spotlight.
That is definitely a more versatile option. I like the fact that you can cut the brightness down and get 120 hour battery life out of it. I swear I could burn a hole in the carpet with the other one. Your option is more expensive but it has some nice features.

Advance Auto is selling a 2.5 Million candle power spot light for $5 (after $15 rebate). Made by Peak (the antifreeze company). Picked one up over the weekend. Very bright. 55 Watt halogen bulb. Charges by AC outlet or included cigarette lighter plug. Cordless. Well worth $5.

You can see the same light on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MF1078/ref=asc_df_B002MF10781809347?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002MF1078

Or, go to Amazon and type "peak spotlight". It's the 2.5M candlepower model.

Just FYI.

This one also has a set of 3 LEDs at the bottom of the light (on a separate switch from the high-powered light) for low power, long-battery use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advance Auto is selling a 2.5 Million candle power spot light for $5 (after $15 rebate). Made by Peak (the antifreeze company). Picked one up over the weekend. Very bright. 55 Watt halogen bulb. Charges by AC outlet or included cigarette lighter plug. Cordless. Well worth $5.
Thanks for the heads up. Snagged one today. For that price, I'll just keep it on the Bennie for "just in case."

One correction, it's not made by Peak, it's just "branded" for them. It's made in China and distributed by Old World Industries. Kind of ironic name, eh?

Glad you could get one. The price is right. Speaking of stuff being made in China, I have a daughter who is really sharp (we were able to teach her to read before kindergarten), and when she was 4, she asked me one day "How come everything's made in China?" She had no idea about the real extent of that question, and all it means to our economy, etc. All she had to go on was all the stuff in our house that said "Made in China" on it. It was pretty funny. Out of the mouth of babes. Her asking that question was actually eye-opening for me. At the time, I hadn't really paid much attention to just how much stuff we had with "Made in China" printed on it.

Matter of fact, I just picked up the first three things within arms reach - A Swingline stapler, a paperclip holder and a cordless Radio Shack thermometer base station. All say made in China...

Bennington? Made in the USA! (Wouldn't be surprised if a few things on the boat were made in China though.)

Back