Spring has Arrived in Northern Michigan ( According to the Calendar )

Local weather ,just forecast for tonight ( 4/23/15) Record low temperatures and possible lake effect snow .

44 here today than back up starting tomorrow. Still no rain except a chance next Thursday. This sucks!

Ouch. Nothing like that down here. Looks like December in that picture!

Yesterday lawn was covered ,all melted by noon .Today just a few scattered flurries 

We've had our ski boat out already this year...so its unwinterized. We go with the 100W lightbulb. We use the chrome metal hood that costs two or three bucks at Home Depot or similar...looks like this...

And we just put a 100W incandescent bulb in it and the whole thing in the engine compartment. Done and done. 

If you have trouble sleeping...put a thermometer in there with a min/max needle. With one 100W lightbulb in the engine compartment, your engine compartment will stay a toasty 50+ degrees...at least mine does. No worries at all. Far better than just keeping the oil warm. In fact...don't do that thing you were thinking of doing...keeping the oil warm. You're not worried about the oil. You're worried about the cooling-water passages in the block and the exhaust manifolds.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

Yeah I'm really torn....the dealer (and my Dad for that matter) both insist I don't need to do a darn thing but I may end up going to Menards on my lunch hour today and buying one of those set-ups just to make sure.  As cheap as they are and with me already having power at my dock, kind of stupid not too IMO.

Spend the couple bucks. I would. After tonight it will be warming back up anyway.

Ok I'm all set....went to Menards and got one of those lights and a 100W light bulb.  I'll stick it out in my engine compartment after dinner this evening.

1st boat ( not a Bennington )  is in on Crooked Lake ,Windjammer Marina 4/26/15. 

11009884_10202699517289629_1679492347247809158_o.jpg
1597316_10202699517649638_1477781356017939557_o.jpg
11109187_10202699515329580_7455965757327031261_o.jpg

Still some ice in the Straights 

10460524_956091374422015_5162619410884567153_n.jpg

We had a fishing tournament and a couple pontoons out today. looks like someone took delivery of a new bennington on the lake today too.

Been fairly nice in Mn, was out for the first time yesterday, it was nice to be back on the water again.

Also in the 70s this week.

Glad you made it out Chris. Weather was crap in MI. Cold and wind. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 60's starting tomorrow with 70's this weekend. If that holds up we'll take the boat out on a lake near where it is stored.

Yeah starting tomorrow it's going to be warming up and stay that way from what I see.  Looking to put our ski boat in this weekend....first time since 2011 (since our twins were born).  Got both docks re-done (the ice pulls them away from the seawall every winter) and the boat hoist straighted as well (for the ski boat).  I'm ready for summer....damn it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we will be getting the boat out this weekend for the first time. Planning on putting in at a lake near where we store it then bringing it home in hopes the water level will be high enough by the following weekend to get it on the lift. They are calling for a few days of rain starting Monday so fingers crossed.

Yeah I was asking my wife last night where the heck are the spring rains????  I'm laying a bunch of sod down this weekend where we just pulled out a bunch of srubs are on Sunday.....also have some grass seed out.  I'm gonna have to fire up the sprinkler system this weekend as well then I guess.

Back