SPS Plus Toon Package Motor Size Question

Pat and Renee

Reaction score
Hi
We have a 2015 22ft SWCX Tri Toon with the SPS package and 150HP Yamaha and loved it. Our boating in mainly on the great lake and Gulf of Mexico. Both can have some ruff water days for sure. Have had our boat back to Elkhart for some toon leaks and repairs made. Last time there it was mention there SPS Plus package which is thicker metal is used on toons. Was thinking I read in a brochure (that I don't have anymore) the SPS Plus package requires a min of 200HP? Does anyone have knowledge regarding the SPS Plus and motor size

We are considering upgrading to a 23ft rear lounger tri toon with the SPS Plus and proper size motor. Thinking min 200hp to 250hp

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

Looking to change out boat this winter.

You can go up to 250 HP with the SPS plus

5f09dc33d4ecb339eaeed855
For increased horsepower this performance package combines our traditional SPS package and adds .100 tube upgrades. Also includes 3 full-length 25 IN diameter pontoons, upswept lifting strakes on the center pontoon, performance foils inside outer pontoons, underdeck waive shield, a 32 gallon transom fuel tank and SeaStar hydraulic steering. Power steering is required for optimal engine performance.

We have a 2018 sps+. With 250 mercury. Mainly boat lake erie. Enough power to outrun the storms...

We have a 2018 sps+. With 250 mercury. Mainly boat lake erie. Enough power to outrun the storms...
We boat Lake Erie as well in the Port Clinton area. Our boat goes high 30's mph curious with your package how fast can you run. We like to head to the islands and some days the speed would be a benefit.

Hi
We have a 2015 22ft SWCX Tri Toon with the SPS package and 150HP Yamaha and loved it. Our boating in mainly on the great lake and Gulf of Mexico. Both can have some ruff water days for sure. Have had our boat back to Elkhart for some toon leaks and repairs made. Last time there it was mention there SPS Plus package which is thicker metal is used on toons. Was thinking I read in a brochure (that I don't have anymore) the SPS Plus package requires a min of 200HP? Does anyone have knowledge regarding the SPS Plus and motor size

We are considering upgrading to a 23ft rear lounger tri toon with the SPS Plus and proper size motor. Thinking min 200hp to 250hp

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

Looking to change out boat this winter.
"Looking to change out boat this winter " Maybe sit tight I'm hearing that there will probably be a lot of nice Recreational Toys for sale after this Pandemic is over. Just a thought!

I would say a 250 strapped onto a 23 footer with an SPS+ hull should move pretty good...probably 50 mph or more WOT unless loaded down or the logs are dirty. It will also depend on the series you purchase, which will affect the weight. If those islands are far away, just remember you will be going through a lot of fuel when those 250 horses start running hard.

There may be a *recommended* min HP for the SPS+, but there is no required min HP for it. Get all the HP that you can afford at the time of build, because the SPS+, ESP, and especially the ESP 0.125 are heavier than the standard SPS.

23SX/L/LX or 22R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 250HP (L and higher series only)

24SX/L/LX or 23R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 350HP (L and higher series only)

25S/SX/L/LX or 24R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 400HP (L and higher series only)

26LX or 25R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 450HP

23L/22R Bowrider
250HP

25L/24R Bowrider
300HP

Last edited:
There may be a *recommended* min HP for the SPS+, but there is no required min HP for it. Get all the HP that you can afford at the time of build, because the SPS+, ESP, and especially the ESP 0.125 are heavier than the standard SPS.

23SX/L/LX or 22R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 250HP (L and higher series only)

24SX/L/LX or 23R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 350HP (L and higher series only)

25S/SX/L/LX or 24R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 400HP (L and higher series only)

26LX or 25R/Q
SPS+ = 250HP
ESP = 450HP

23L/22R Bowrider
250HP

25L/24R Bowrider
300HP

Thank You for the above data,
Is there a noticeable difference in turning and going over rough water with the SPS + over the standard SPS or ESP?
Considering sea legs so one of the Yamaha 250hp will be in the decision process for sure.

Thank You for the above data,
Is there a noticeable difference in turning and going over rough water with the SPS + over the standard SPS or ESP?
Considering sea legs so one of the Yamaha 250hp will be in the decision process for sure.

The SPS and SPS+ will handle almost identically, since they are both triple 25" round pontoon configs.
The ESP will have a bit more handling difference, since it's a twin outer 25" round with an elliptical center 32" pontoon config.

The SPS+ and ESP are both the thicker 0.1 aluminum for all three pontoons, if I recall correctly.

Not sure if Sea Legs are compatible with a Bennington donning the wider elliptical center pontoon, so I will have to defer to someone that may have knowledge or experience with adding Sea Legs to an ESP equipped boat.

I have Sea Legs on my 2013 2375 GCW. It's a tight fit as the legs come down, but Sea Legs has redesigned the Tritoon Sea Legs in the last few years and they look to be skinnier than mine. Either way, they are definitely compatible.

sl1.jpgsl2.jpg

Back