Stainless vs. Aluminum

Skeester

Reaction score
I currently have a 10 + year old 3 blade aluminum prop and i would like to replace with stainless. The current prop is sized correctly so I’m not looking to make any drastic changes. If I move to stainless and/or 4 blade, do I keep the same pitch? I am running a Yamaha 150 vmax 2 stroke on a 20 ft Tritoon.

Stainless, probably. 4 blade, probably not. There's a lot more to props than just pitch and diameter. Some are made for fuel economy, some for top end speed, some for acceleration... Some have a tighter cone of thrust and hold the water better (less blow out). Some have a wider cone and provide more lift (but more likely to blow out when near the surface).

Last edited:
Ok, I get terrible fuel economy. What would I want to change? Hole shot is good. Top end is good. All that said, this is my first boat, so I don’t have much else to gauge it to.

Ok, I get terrible fuel economy. What would I want to change? Hole shot is good. Top end is good. All that said, this is my first boat, so I don’t have much else to gauge it to.

My guess is you will want a 3 blade SS. I am sure someone with the 150 VMax on a 20’ tritoon can help narrow down some great options for you.

I would go for the same diameter, same pitch, in a Yamaha Reliance or Mercury Enertia prop. If everything works well for you now, just switching to a stainess (less flex) prop will get you a small gain in performance across all parameters.

Reliance and Enertia come up over and over on this site as two of the best props. Having an Enertia, I can testify to one of them. Thanks Todd!

Back