Steering Assembly Replacement

JJSmoof

Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker, haven't posted much.

I have a 26' 2016 2550 GBR and last week I got in (boat used 10+ times per month) after it had sat for about 10 days between uses. When I lower the engine, I went to turn the steering wheel and it felt stuck, I turned it the other direction and heard a snap. Now the wheel turns freely with no grab and makes a clicking sound. Something definitely striped or broke inside the steering column and I'm looking for information of how to get the same steering column or newer upgrade.

The back of the unit says teleflex but no model number. I've attached a pic of the cables going to the engine and the numbers stamped on them.

I'm trying to confirm what steering kit I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone has advice or tips for replacing this myself, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

20231014_093216.jpg20231014_154126.jpg

I don't have access to the phone number or email right now . You can contact Bennington, be sure to have your Hull ID. You can do a search in the upper right corner, for the contact information.

Weren't some of the 2016's covered under Warranty. It was discussed here before.

Weren't some of the 2016's covered under Warranty. It was discussed here before.
My 2017 model year boat that was delivered in Fall 2016 only had the 5 year warranty (increased to 7 with forum membership). 2017's that delivered in the calendar year 2017 apparently have the 10 year warranty. (I know vikingstaff's 2017 does.)

I don't have access to the phone number or email right now . You can contact Bennington, be sure to have your Hull ID. You can do a search in the upper right corner, for the contact information.
I've left 3 messages with the customer service department moment in IN, sent two messages through the website (which I believe goes to my local dealer) and nothing.

The only thing I can tell is it's Teleflex, the gearbox says teleflex and the steering cable says teleflex but there's no stamped numbers or any other identifying numbers on there.

Can anybody offer any help?

(Also my boat is a 2012, tha5 was my typo)

Attachments

• 20231014_093216.jpg
    20231014_093216.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
I believe Sea Star owns teleflex. the One you have now looks like a feedback system, all that means is you have to constantly correct the steering in waves etc. the system is fairly easy to change. Measure the distance from the helm to the motor and allow a little extra. Disconnect the cable from the motor and helm. Pull the cable back thru the helm and to the motor. Before pulling it thru attach a strong cord to the helm side of the cable. This will allow you reverse thr process, by tying the new cable to the cord and pulling it thru to the helm. The gearbox under the helm will come with the new cable. It should be a no feed back system you will be glad you did it because it is much better than the original. Any boat part retailers, on line, will carry the complete system and help you pick the right length.

Back