Steering Problems

jameyw

Reaction score
2020 Bennington 22S Saltwater Series:

Had a steering issue come up today while we were out on the water. I can turn to the right with no problems. I can turn back to the left just fine until I get to the point the engine is basically centered. When turning to the left, past center, the steering wheel is harder to turn and the steering wheel "slips". If I turn it back and forth a little and turn gently, I can eventually turn left but not fully. I looked at the engine and linkage and didn't see anything obvious. I' wondering if it is an issue with the steering box in the console?

Thanks
jamey

In a previous post you mentioned that you are not the original owner . When you purchased did you transfer the warranty ?
If its a motor issue ,the motor has a separate warranty . If the warranties have not been transferred ,I would get them transferred at an authorized Bennington dealer and let them take care of it .

My neighbor had this issue pop up on his Yamaha 300. It turned out to be the helm control was the issue (hydraulic steering). I can say it made for a fun ride in from offshore and through the inlet with intermittent steering!

It is a problem with the steering box (helm pump) in the console. Could be you need to just top off the oil thru the vent on the top of the console. Low oil level would explain the slip but maybe not the hard to turn. There is also holding valves that might have pilot passage blockage. That would explain hard to turn but the slip would be extremely slow with much force on the steering wheel. Start with topping off the oil. If that makes a dramatic difference you will need to bleed the system and determine why your oil level was low in the first place. Good luck.

My steering issue was about the power - wired to only 1 battery - if I did not run off that battery, I would loose steering after a long day. I would have to switch to both batteries, fixed. This allowed the boat to start and charge both.

I guess I should have mentioned, mine is the mechanical style with a cable, not hydraulic or power/power assist.

I'm pretty sure it is an issue with the helm control box. I had my wife turn the steering wheel while I gently pushed on the linkage at the engine and together we were able to get it to go to the left.

I'm taking it in to be winterized next week so I'll have the shop guys look at it. I have shoulder surgery coming up in a couple weeks so this was our last weekend on the water until spring.

Back