Stereo Change

Matthew Ware

Reaction score
Has anyone converted stereo to the new round ones. Mine has died and I am trying to convert to the newer ones with no CD player, But not sure what to do with the area where my old CD player Stereo was.  Any suggestions or pictures?  Thanks

took mine out a riveted a caulked aluminum cover over the old opening. 

They don't last. Can't here it when you are moving, and its disruptive to conversation when stopped.

Has anyone converted stereo to the new round ones. Mine has died and I am trying to convert to the newer ones with no CD player, But not sure what to do with the area where my old CD player Stereo was.  Any suggestions or pictures?  Thanks

Why don't you replace it with the same style but no CD? I think almost all now have Bluetooth, etc.

I'm thinking you might be able to order a new helm insert with a round hole from Bennington if that is the route you want to go.

There are a bunch of marine grade radio's that are a direct replacement for the old style single din radio opening.  Crutchfield has quite a few and they aren't priced to bad for all the features that the new radio's have.

Crutchfield Marine Radio's

took mine out a riveted a caulked aluminum cover over the old opening. 

They don't last. Can't here it when you are moving, and its disruptive to conversation when stopped.

I can easily hear mine while moving!  And if it's just me and the wife, well I'd rather hear the music!!  Haha 

If you couldn't hear it while moving, you need to get an amp, a sub, and upgraded speakers. I can hear mine just fine.  Others can too, if I chose to crank it up. 

We have been very happy with this Kenwood. We use bluetooth almost exclusively now. Sometimes the old Ipod.

Kenwood KMRD765BT

Sony MEX-M100BT

That seems to be the popular DIN replacement / simple upgrade.  I'll probably install one this fall.

2nd that. The power is very good and you will hear it with no problem! Only down fall is the face gets washed out by bright sun. Plus it's Bluetooth.

This is exactly what I'll be doing when I get the boat back.  The existing stereo is getting pulled out and my 7" Garmin 74sv is going in it's place.  I'm then installing a Dual 3" stereo w/Bluetooth down below where the Garmin will be (real get about knee height on the lower portion of the console).  The new stereo comes with an app for totally controlling it via Bluetooth, so I won't have to bend down to access any of the controls; I'll be able to do it all from my phone.  I also purchased a 3" rubber cover to protect it from the screen from the sun.

Back