Storms becoming more common?

Bill N

Reaction score
We have noticed significantly more winds/storms for being this early in the season. Seen several lifts and a few pontoons already lost.
That crap usually doesn't start until July in these parts.
Just wondering if others are seeing the same in their areas?

I asked one of my insurance agents if there is talk in the industry about the same thing, and the number of events last season. He replied "absolutely", and to expect premiums to go up significantly. He said that 2021 was the first time that Lloyds of London has ever lost money.

Same as you for Wisconsin (Madison), my boat and lift is sitting on Lake Wisconsin had no issues from the past storms. I use Geico Marine and no change in my rate yet. I pay $180 year

Yes completely agree. Last summer our lake (Owasco Lake, NY) level rose 2.5 feet overnight after a huge storm. It was an absolute nightmare...boats and docks floated away, boats stuck underneath hoist canopies, etc. I feel like there are more and more of these torrential downpours nowadays than I ever remember. Scary when I live 5 hours away with 2 kids under 2.5 years old, but thankfully we have awesome neighbors. Curious if others are seeing these types of storms as well...

This time of year it's in the 90's all day then we have those afternoon thunderstorms then a beautiful sunset! So really nothing unusual with the storms here. Believe me I worry when it becomes windy because we leave our double Bimini up all season. But it has done well in it's 3rd season! IMG_20220423_195530138_HDR.jpg

We had a doozy of a thunderstorm recently. 6 inches of rain in a hour and half. Flooded the road.

Not to downplay wind up there but nothing is worse than waiting to see if you are going to get hit by a hurricane

Attachments

• D402C5AA-BD34-4FCD-B3D1-897ABF398A81.jpeg
    D402C5AA-BD34-4FCD-B3D1-897ABF398A81.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 10
We had a doozy of a thunderstorm recently. 6 inches of rain in a hour and half. Flooded the road.

Not to downplay wind up there but nothing is worse than waiting to see if you are going to get hit by a hurricane
Have you had a hurricane since you moved down there?!?

It's funny. I can only speak for central NC since this is where I have lived my entire life, but we were just talking the other day. We just don't have storms like we used to. When I was younger, we had just hellacious electrical storms. Some that seemed to last all night. Nowadays those are very rare. It's more about wind now. Lot of brief straight line wind storms. My Mom is 90 and is absolutely terrified of storms. It stems from those of decades past where it would run in the house. It just doesn't happen anymore, but she is still terrified of what might be. That and snakes. Lol

Have you had a hurricane since you moved down there?!?
No direct hits. Dorian was a scare as it was approaching as a cat 5. Jim cantore was in town doing his broadcast for the weather channel so that is never a good sign!!!

My neighborhood is on the other side of that bridge in the background.

Fingers crossed we’ll be spared this year

Attachments

• 9A760F98-57C3-4CB7-AA37-F6B072D021E3.jpeg
    9A760F98-57C3-4CB7-AA37-F6B072D021E3.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
Toddk9, feel free to share some pictures and bore us with details of the car in your avatar!
That is my 18 y/o son driving it with his GF.

1979 Firebird Formula.. Got her out of Amarillo, Texas. Here is the original add back in 2014 : http://davidsclassiccars.com/pontiac/204706-1979-firebird-formula-t-tops-low-milage.html ..

It is a 403 car Formula with 38k miles on it now. I originally wanted a T/A. After going to car shows, they were all over. They built over 115k T/A's in '79. So to be a little different, I went with a Formula instead. Only 25k of Formulas were built and 7k of them were the 403 motor. Not Fast compared to newer cars but still fun to drive plus when I go to car shows, I don't see another. 1655912432011.png

Attachments

• car5.JPG
    car5.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 19
  • car4.JPG
    car4.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
  • car3.JPG
    car3.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 18
  • car2.JPG
    car2.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 19
  • car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 19
  • car6.JPG
    car6.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 20
  • car7.JPG
    car7.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That is my 18 y/o son driving it with his GF.

1979 Firebird Formula.. Got her out of Amarillo, Texas. Here is the original add back in 2014 : http://davidsclassiccars.com/pontiac/204706-1979-firebird-formula-t-tops-low-milage.html ..

It is a 403 car Formula with 38k miles on it now. I originally wanted a T/A. After going to car shows, they were all over. They built over 115k T/A's in '79. So to be a little different, I went with a Formula instead. Only 25k of Formulas were built and 7k of them were the 403 motor. Not Fast compared to newer cars but still fun to drive plus when I go to car shows, I don't see another. View attachment 32920
That's an awesome color for that body style!

Back