Straight talk about props!

ronfl

Reaction score
I'm new to boating and pontoons. Bought a 2275RL with a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke. We love it! We use it for crusing and some water sports. It has the stock aluminum prop. I was wondering if a stainless would help peformance and started looking for the answer. I soon realized everything I could find was from salesmen! Can anyone share real life experances good, bad or ugly with props. What works and what is a waist of $$. Will a stainless really help performance?

Thanks

Ron, if you can wait until the beginning of next spring, I can give you a review of the new spitfire line. I plan to do some testing when they come out. In regards to SS props, I tried the Mercury Vengence and gained 2 mph. Not much for the $550 investment, so I sold it to a buddy and went back to my aluminum prop.

I also hear good things about the Solas prop line from those on this forum. I have no direct experience but am sure someone will jump in.

I agree with Spinzone. But then I know people that have spent alot of money to gain 1 to 2 mph.

If you new to boating than you might not know the lake that you will be boating on vary well. I would suggest staying with an aluminum prop because they are more forgiving if you hit something. Aluminum props are pritty cheap compared to replacing the lower unit.

I'm new to boating and pontoons. Bought a 2275RL with a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke.
This is based on what I have seen with a combo like yours.

If you're in the neighborhood of 23mph at full throttle then your prop is already good to go.

If you're below 20mph then I would guess that you also either can't hit 6000rpm at full throttle, OR you bounce against the rev limiter, which is somewhere around 6200rpm.

13.5 - 14 inches seems to be a good prop diameter and your pitch should be at least 9 but probably less than 13.

If you can't hit 6000rpm, drop your pitch. If you hit the rev limiter, increase your pitch.

Oh, and...

Congrats on the new boat.

This is based on what I have seen with a combo like yours.

If you're in the neighborhood of 23mph at full throttle then your prop is already good to go.

If you're below 20mph then I would guess that you also either can't hit 6000rpm at full throttle, OR you bounce against the rev limiter, which is somewhere around 6200rpm.

13.5 - 14 inches seems to be a good prop diameter and your pitch should be at least 9 but probably less than 13.

If you can't hit 6000rpm, drop your pitch. If you hit the rev limiter, increase your pitch.

Oh, and...

Congrats on the new boat.
Thanks for the advise... Here's what I've seen so far. I have two teenage girls and that being said every time except once we've had at least 6 to 8 people on the boat. At full throttle it will usually tach at around 5700 5800rpm with that load. I play with the trim a little to get there. We were out last weekend on a bit of a rough lake with only 4 on the boat and it ran up to 6000 to 6100 range first time I've seen it that high.. I usually cruise around 4500 to 5000rpm.. Not sure of the speed no speedometer. I am looking at a GPS fish fnder that will give me the speed any thoughts on that?. With the 90hp I just want to get everything I can out of it and suspect it being around 5700+ it may be giving me all she's got? Is there a real differance with performance between aluminum and ss? Or is most of it hype.....

Thanks

Is this a new boat or just new to you? I am surprised it does not have a speedo. IMHO a stainless prop will not make significant differance with lower HP motors. It seems like you are getting pretty good performance where you are. With a typical load you want it run as close to max rpms (6000) at WOT as you can. Then your speed is what it is. Trust me you can spend alot of money playing with props to gain very little in performance. Please do not ask me how I know this B) Props are anything but an exact science. If you really want to do something I would say probably go up in pitch 1 ie: if you have a 9 go to a 10. At worst you will have a spare prop for when you ding that one :D .

Is this a new boat or just new to you? I am surprised it does not have a speedo. IMHO a stainless prop will not make significant differance with lower HP motors. It seems like you are getting pretty good performance where you are. With a typical load you want it run as close to max rpms (6000) at WOT as you can. Then your speed is what it is. Trust me you can spend alot of money playing with props to gain very little in performance. Please do not ask me how I know this B) Props are anything but an exact science. If you really want to do something I would say probably go up in pitch 1 ie: if you have a 9 go to a 10. At worst you will have a spare prop for when you ding that one :D .
New to me! :p

Ron -

Based on what you describe I think you're probably already OK.

Wait until you get a good GPS measured speed with just you in a the boat, no heavy cargo and no tubers/skiers.

Once you have that number it will be easier to judge.

Ron -

Based on what you describe I think you're probably already OK.

Wait until you get a good GPS measured speed with just you in a the boat, no heavy cargo and no tubers/skiers.

Once you have that number it will be easier to judge.
Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.

Back