Straps for Bimini

BigFrank

Reaction score
Ok, I asked my son to remove the bimini top on my 2012 2275FSi for a cleaning/weatherproofing job. So now its time to reinstall and he cannot remember how the straps were installed. These are the two black straps with the D rings attached. Anyone have any pics, diagrams to assist? By the way the 303 Fabric Guard Weatherproof does a great job. I did both the bimini top and bra.

If it is like mine the tag should be at the rear. Then it should just zipper on and the snaps should be right in place. The go on the outside of the frame, wrap under and snap if that makes sense.

This is the best picture I could find.

64CDC6A4-0BC2-47CD-A3BD-CB673104CA50_zpsyss9fj27.jpg

Here's one of the rear straps on mine. Not sure if it will help.

1D81EBA2-2E1C-48C0-8E1D-9B632A917286.jpg

Here's another of the front straps.

6952092A-6235-418E-827D-F3FD2F3532CE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After going back and re-reading your post, you might be talking about the straps that were replaced with tubing in the later models, LL nor I are probably helping with this one. Sorry.

My bad, I didn't describe the straps properly, there are two straps about 5 foot long each with 3 sets of D rings. I believe they run from the rear white running light and wrap via d rings around each cross frame but under the canvas and run all the way to the front of the bimini. I'm sure their purpose is to reduce sag between the aluminum cross frames.

My bad, I didn't describe the straps properly, there are two straps about 5 foot long each with 3 sets of D rings. I believe they run from the rear white running light and wrap via d rings around each cross frame but under the canvas and run all the way to the front of the bimini. I'm sure their purpose is to reduce sag between the aluminum cross frames.

Are those the straps that are used to hold up the playpen cover in the rear so water doesn't pool? I believe you have "D" rings on your cover to attach the straps too and it goes over the closed bimini.

No, not the playpen "lifter" for the rear. These straps attach in the middle of the cross bar starting under the white running light and attach to each cross bar including the front one. Im guessing it rest ovee the cross bars and under the canvas to reduce the bimini top from sagging??

Not the best pic, and mine doesn't have D rings, but I have a long strap that goes over the top and attaches to two points sewn into the cover to keep water from collecting near the rear.

Is that what you are talking about?

No I have that strap and know where it goes. These 2 straps with the D rings are between the bimini canvas and the aluminum crossbars when the bimini is extended to the open position. The D rings hold the strap firmly against the crossbars of the top to keep the canvas from drooping.

Odd.  My Bimini is tight as a drum. It would not need such strap to help with sag. 

Do you have the plain regular Bimini?

The zippers on mine go from side to side. A strap wouldn't be able to go between the rails and the fabric. You must have a different Bimini than those of us that have replied to you...  Someone that has your setup will reply soon I'm sure.

I think he ( BigFrank) is speaking of the Bimini itself ,not the boot or mooring cover .I remember on our SLX there were the nylon web straps the attached to the Bimini frame with snaps 

Are you sure they are not for hanging towels from or something?  Which would be great to have....

Mine certainly doesn't have straps like he's describing. If my Bimini droops, I only have to adjust the front square tubing to make it tighter. Simple adjustment, like most others here. Can't grasp the D ring straps.

Is this what you're talking about?

bimini-top-supersport1-500x268.jpg

In this pic, the arrows were already there, so I'm talking about the ones on the front of the bimini.

header-bimini-width.jpg

If these aren't what you're talking about, my next question would be, is this original equipment? I din't see any google pics of bimini tops with a strap coming off of the middle of the top.

Its factory equipped only taller than normal which is what the dealer ordered plus the Led lights. These straps run above your head from the front cross bar then straps around the 2nd crossbar with a set of d- rings, then the 3rd and 4th cross bar with d-rings and runs just under the bimini top. So sandwiched between the tops of each crossbar right in the middle and the bimini top. I have the seperated zipper "tubes" that zipper over the crossbars and these straps run in the middle of those zipper tubes.

Jack M is correct. This is the bimini top itself, not mooring cover or boot. If you are sitting in the captains chair and look up it runs right down the middle of the bimini top attached to all four crossbars. One inch black nylon web strapping with a set of d-rings the same distance of each crossbar. On some of the d-rings there is a piece of strap about 10 inches long that runs around the crosbbar and then through the d-rings for tightening.

Jack M is correct. This is the bimini top itself, not mooring cover or boot. If you are sitting in the captains chair and look up it runs right down the middle of the bimini top attached to all four crossbars. One inch black nylon web strapping with a set of d-rings the same distance of each crossbar. On some of the d-rings there is a piece of strap about 10 inches long that runs around the crosbbar and then through the d-rings for tightening.

Spoiledrotten, no I have never taken these straps off for raising or lowering the bimini top.  Also these two straps dont have any snaps,  just 5 sets of d-rings.

Do you unsnap before folding?  The first (and only) time I opened the bimini they were unsnapped, so before folding I unsnapped them again in case they were like that for a reason.

No, those snaps you see on my top are to hold the canvas to the frame. They stay snapped on mine.

I unsnap mine...  the boot goes on much much easier with them unsnapped.   The dealer had them unsnapped when I picked it up. After struggling once or twice with putting the boot on with them snapped I remembered them being unsnapped so I tried it... big differrence.

Back