Super Siphon / Shaker Siphon not working

6kidsurf

Reaction score
Ok - so I am new to pontoons and my issue is likely operator error, but any help is appreciated. I am getting a new 23SXP, and like my previous boats, I plan to fill it with gas from 5 gallon jugs. I looked at a showroom boat and the metal opening just inside the cap was 3/4inches, so I picked up a new shaker/super siphon (as my old one was too big) - but the new tube only went in about 1-2 inches, and then was blocked from going down any further. I figured that with the hose barely going in, I would get gas blow back - so then I picked up an 1/2 inch tube - but it too would not fit any further.

I read on here that others love the super/shaker siphon (which up to this point I did also) - so this has to work, and I must be doing something wrong - what am I missing?

Mine only goes into the fuel fill a couple inches like you describe.

If you look down the gas spout, there is a “stop” about 2” down. So you got it as far as it will go. Some folks have no issues with gas blowbacks, and some, like me, do. So I would try as normal and see what happens. If there is an issue, what worked for me (and sounds silly, but I used a suggestion on here about gas spouts and it worked for the siphon as well), is to put the siphon in as far as you can, and then push on it so it enters the intake at the bottom at 3 o’clock position (so on the outside it is pushed toward 9 o’clock). This is a pain, and you have to apply constant pressure, but the blowbacks stopped for me. If you search this issue on this site, you’ll see other suggestions on how to fix this specific issue if it is an issue.

Mine also stops about 2”-4” In so I have to keep one hand on it - no pressure really. I’ve never experienced any blowback in the years I’ve used it. Try yours to see if it works.

thanks everyone for the guidance - I took the advice and had the hose as far in as possible (like 2 inches) and held it there while using the siphon. It was a bit tricky to hold the hose at the boat while using the shaker at the gas can, but it did work. Thanks so much for the help. But I can see someone far more inventive than me coming up with a better way over all, or a way to have the hose stay on its own tight against the boat gas opening! And the good news is they said my boat comes in Friday!!

My hose stays stuck in without me having to hold it. I still do grab it when starting out a gas can (during the shake phase) just in case, but I haven't had any issues with the hose coming out while emptying a can.

To make the siphon stay put while adding gas, buy a gas nozzle (automatic if you want truly hands free) and a threaded fitting to fit the gas nozzle on one end and a hose barb to fit your siphon hose on the other end. Once these are put together you have an instant off by releasing the gas nozzle handle vs having to pull the siphon out of the gas.

Lay Lake - really like the sounds of that set up. Do you have such a set up that I could get some pics of the various pieces you refer to - if not, no worries, I will do a search.

I won't be able to get any pictures for a couple of weeks, but here are the the parts I used (gas nozzle and the threaded hose barb adapter). I used an aluminum hose barb adapter but you could use galvanized. Simply put some teflon tape on the fitting and screw it into the gas nozzle and then put the end of the super siphon on to the hose barb and put a hose clamp on it. The gas nozzle has to be open when starting/using the siphon. The big advantage to having the nozzle on the end of the siphon is the ability to stop the flow of gas quicker.

ICT Billet Straight 3/4" NPT Pipe to 3/4" .750" Hose Barb Fitting Bare Aluminum AN840-12-12A

Fill-Rite FRHMN075S

We are on a smaller -400 acre- lake so we don’t worry about “topping off” when we are out. When tank is Between 1/4 and 1/2 I can Easily put in a 5 gallon can and it will keep us going for a while. With a 50hp though We just slow cruisers, no water sports. No need for a nozzle.

Back