Swingback layout

KansasHawk

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing a Benny and wanted to get some feedback concerning the Swingback rail options.

Have two kids ages 8 and 6 so we would be getting one in the swingback option. Does anyone have any feedback on the Stainless Steel Aft Rail With Dual Gates (S/L) VS
Stainless Steel Swingback Keeper Rail?

We would be using the boat for water sports and lounging. Thanks!

Welcome ! Swingback owners will chime in. Or maybe search upper right hand corner for a quick answer.

Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing a Benny and wanted to get some feedback concerning the Swingback rail options.

Have two kids ages 8 and 6 so we would be getting one in the swingback option. Does anyone have any feedback on the Stainless Steel Aft Rail With Dual Gates (S/L) VS
Stainless Steel Swingback Keeper Rail?

We would be using the boat for water sports and lounging. Thanks!
I replied to the PM with insights on our thoughts with our swingback with the Keeper Rail. Good luck deciding.

I've had boats with the standard rail and now the dual aft gates rail. The dual gates rail allows people to move around on and to the swingback easier, but it does make the extended deck area less open. I like the dual gates but I'm not sure I would order it (boat was a dealer stock). I like the looks of the boat from the outside better with the standard rail.

With all this said, I'm not sure I've really helped you any!

I spend more time on the stern deck than the bow - whether trolling/reeling fish, jumping in the water with the kids, taking a leak, hanging out, tying off my rear spring lines in the slip, tying off the dock line to the stern cleat when fueling, etc. - so that full rail would be a constant obstacle and limit functionality significantly.

On the other hand, the keeper is not as confidence-inspiring as a full cage to keep the kids contained while running. I'm always looking back to make sure their butts are planted instead of hanging or crawling on the rail lest they end up going for a swim at 50mph. Then again, they could do the same with the full cage.

If possible try to set foot on one of each, or check out some videos like the one here - roughly the 3-3:30 minute mark the salesman goes aft.

I love the openness of my boat, but for some that may be viewed as a hazard. I think with little kids it's an important consideration.

I have the rail keep that goes right around the seat as it was the only option when we purchased the boat. With a 1 & 3 yr old I am not a huge fan of them being back there when under power as I would prefer to have eyes on them all the time. That being said they do sit back there with their mom from time to time and I prefer the "old" style as it is more constrained if you will. We do not really find it to be a pain when anchored like some folks do but again that is how we built the boat so we do not know any better....

I do really like the new style one but I keep my cooler in the rear port corner of the boat which you wouldnt be able to do with the new one or at least it does not appear like you would be able to. Not a deal breaker by any means, just preference.

I replied to the PM with insights on our thoughts with our swingback with the Keeper Rail. Good luck deciding.
I spend more time on the stern deck than the bow - whether trolling/reeling fish, jumping in the water with the kids, taking a leak, hanging out, tying off my rear spring lines in the slip, tying off the dock line to the stern cleat when fueling, etc. - so that full rail would be a constant obstacle and limit functionality significantly.

On the other hand, the keeper is not as confidence-inspiring as a full cage to keep the kids contained while running. I'm always looking back to make sure their butts are planted instead of hanging or crawling on the rail lest they end up going for a swim at 50mph. Then again, they could do the same with the full cage.

If possible try to set foot on one of each, or check out some videos like the one here - roughly the 3-3:30 minute mark the salesman goes aft.

I love the openness of my boat, but for some that may be viewed as a hazard. I think with little kids it's an important consideration.

Thanks for the response and great video!

I had a similar dilemma when shopping for my SB. I opted the keeper rail, the dual gates seemed safer, but obviously would limit the use of the rear deck too much - and after 2 seasons this was the right choice. The open deck allows you to put on wake boards, load tubes, get the tube up on the deck or SB to dry, jump off - just all around more flexible. I keep looking at options to make the existing rail a removable wire/chain or something, but ultimately don't find it really is much of a hindrance (would be nice to be able to just sit when floating, but rare enough that it's not a significant want). I certainly NOT let kids under say 10-12 sit back there on their own when speeding down the lake, but with an adult or responsible teen no issues, or even when just putting around. I do really like the SB Plus - having it fold completely flat and not take up storage room is critical! The Privacy Curtain we have used a few times, but the stock while really well built took up a lot of storage room so I modified it - a bit harder to use but increased my storage capacity 30 to 40% (search my prior posts). We also went with the dual captain chairs - we tend to go out on our own more than with a large group, and really nice for my wife and I to both have comfortable chairs vs the extra seating of the L Couch.

If a boat does not have the swingback keeper rail, can one be ordered and installed ?
Short answer: Yes.

Poto’s excellent walk through with pictures above really shows that it would be somewhat straight forward. As you can see in his photos, it would basically involve a little bit of measuring, marking, drilling, assembly and screwing/securing to rails.

If you don’t have them on an already existing SB boat, you could order the Keeper Rail kit through your Bennington dealer and put on youself (or likely for enough $ have your dealer service dept do it).

If you haven’t ordered or bought the boat yet, my advice is to add it on at purchase. Then, if there are times you want it off, simply remove it.

Reasons to add at purchase if you can: (1) it would then be part of your boats 10 year warranty, (2) easier to remove and put back on than to mount the kit yourself with the necessary work (measuring, marking, drilling, assembly, screwing on).

Back