Swipe Marks on Toons

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
After reapplying Sharkhide for the third time I seem to have what I will call "swipe marks" from the application. Any one else and if so what did you do to get rid of them ?
Thanks!

It is "supposed" to blend in .
You can contact Clint ( owner ) at Sharkhide . 618.624.4091

What did you do wrong ?

My Bennington dealer said Sharkhide is a waste of money and washes off in a year or less - here in our brackish waters of NJ Barnegat Bay. What is the experience of others?

My Bennington dealer said Sharkhide is a waste of money and washes off in a year or less - here in our brackish waters of NJ Barnegat Bay. What is the experience of others?
I’ve heard the same for use in brackish waters. For me in normal fresh water it has worked great.

I have it and would not be with out it . It does wear off below the water line in a few weeks "IF" kept in a slip .But even then it is still easier to keep the toons clean . I have it reapplied every other year .

How big a deal is sharkhide. My toon has light stain from first test ride. Marina is recommending acid wash at end of season, another cost per year of course. Can one do this all himself with boat on trailer or does it need to be suspended or on blocks?

Marina is recommending acid wash at end of season, another cost per year of course. Can one do this all himself with boat on trailer or does it need to be suspended or on blocks?
I don't have Sharkhide. My boat sits in the water all season so I do an acid wash as part of my end of season maintenance every year. Tried many products over the last 15 or so years and have settled on NAPA aluminum cleaner. It's about $15 or $20 a gallon. Can do the whole boat with one gallon. Mix it 2 or 3 parts water (depending on the level of scum you're dealing with) to 1 part acid in a 2 gallon pump sprayer. I jack the boat up in the corners and put some wood blocks between the toon and the trailer bunk to get some clearance to clean where the toon touches the bunk. I am not really happy with the technique I use and am looking for better alternatives. Spray your lawn down well with water before and after if you're doing this on the lawn. The acid runoff will kill the grass.

Yes. Yes there are.

Not me, but a friend and fellow forum member had a serious nightmare situation with it done by the dealership. Be very careful whether you or someone else does it.

Once things are damaged by errant spray, you are out of luck. Not going to polish it away…

Last edited:
This is why Sharkhide is recommended . Slime and crud wipe off easier.

How big a deal is sharkhide. My toon has light stain from first test ride. Marina is recommending acid wash at end of season, another cost per year of course. Can one do this all himself with boat on trailer or does it need to be suspended or on blocks?
Hey Lilguy ! Youtube. If you have Sharkhide there is a clip on removing it. If not I'm going with Stare Bright Ultimate Aluminum Restorer to clean and then re Sharhide. Love Youtube!

Benny Owner 2nd Season: I ordered Sharkhide with my Benny. June - Sept my Benny spends 100% of the time in the water. After the first month in the water, I could tell the few area's they missed. During the first season, I settled on oversized plastic scour pads - they worked great to wipe off the algae growth with ease (light double pass wipe). I had no issues with how the toons looked after the first season - though I am a bit more utilitarian than many here. This season, the toons continue to wipe down easy, I dare to say easier than last year. So, in my experience I think the sharkhide was worth the investment (though I don't have a non-sharkhide experience, but note other toons in my marina that have a nice thick coating of algae).

I agree . I will continue to get mine reapplied every other season

Back