Tax write off your boat fuel....join the USFBA Indian Lake Chapter

Indian_Lake_Bum

Reaction score
I had posted here about a year ago regarding the USFBA and if it was worth joining.  The USFBA is a non-profit tax exempt organization that as being a member has some perks such as being able to tax deduct your boat fuel while patroling.  They call it patrolling I like to call it riding around in your boat doing what you normally do.  Well after a year of being a member and serving as the assistant director for our local chapter (now dis-banned) on indian lake I can say that we did do a lot of good for boaters.  Cleaning up floating debris from all around the lake to make it safer for boater - tubers and jet ski's and to be available if you needed a tow off the lake.  Did we do anything out of the ordinary while boating?  Not really we just did what any boater does......enjoy being out on the water and help other boaters in need.  We simply kept a log of the time we spent out on the lake as well as mileage coming to the lake and going home (mileage....that's another perk) and the amount of hours spent working at events over the summer.  At the end of the year you get a full report to print out and turn in on your taxes.....you have to keep track of your own fuel costs though.  

Since the rules have somewhat changed regarding the required number of active members to create a chapter on any given lake the USFBA has now said you CAN be a member even if you don't have a chapter on your lake.  All that is required is to become a USFBA member and take advantage of the perks is to first take a safe boating course - have your boat safety inspected by the power squadron or coast guard aux. - have a marine band radio on board.   

Even though we no longer have a USFBA charter or even a chapter at indian lake there are still members (like us) that have renewed for the 2016 boating season.  So if you are out on indian lake keep an eye out for the yellow USFBA burgee!  

397430_orig_zps23kszwdb.jpg

The USFBA 2015 boating season youtube review.......was a lot of things going on last summer at the lakes!

2015 USFBA Review

Have any questions or want some more info regarding joining the USFBA visit their website here ---> USFBA  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back