Tear in Simtex

VitiminJ

Reaction score
Please feel free to move if this if it's not in the right section.

First - Am I correct that the new vinyl seat material is Simtek? Or is Simtex the flooring? Or both.

We had our first, and hopefully last, tear in our seat. I had just moved the jump seat back after swimming most of the day. We hadn't planned to tube, but my son decided to take a lap or two when we past the speeding area. Anyway I was being lazy and didn't move the seat. When he stepped back in the boat he stepped out to far and it toppled forward. The two "tabs" on each side of the seat grabbed the vinyl near the piping and tore slightly. One is more like a scratch and the other is small. About the size of a pen cap, and it flaps. So the material is still there. If there is a silver lining it's that the tear is out of sight. But I'm concerned about it tearing more as we move the seat in and out.

I wanted to get some ideas about repairing the tear and tell you guys my plan. I planned to superglue the flap down and put a light coat on clear nail polish on the top to "seal" the edges.

I did call the company that makes Simtex and they really didn't have any repair info since they sell roll stock to manufacturers and upholstery shops. They were cordial, but no real advice other than to call an upholstery shop or Bennington. My next call was the shop and I don't think they were familiar with Simtex. She said my idea was acceptable or buy a VLP repair glue.

What do you think?

The new vinyl being used by Bennington is Simtex. Your idea sounds feasible but without pictures it is hard to say for sure. My experience has been these types of DIY repairs only work for a short time. But then it might be poor workmanship on my part. LOL.

You might look for another shop that may be more familiar with Simtex. Your Bennington dealer should be able to help you with that. Another solutions could be to buy the Simtex fabric yourself, (If you Google Simtex you will find several vendors on line.) and take it to the shop you spoke with to get it repaired. Good Luck.

Vitiminj we had a small tear in our Bimini and I went on line and found a repair kit that repairs vinyl and canvas. I don’t remember what it’s called and I don’t have the package anymore. It was a clear patch and it held up perfectly well until we got the new Bimin.

Back