The Benny gods smiled on my docking attempt

big shooter

Reaction score
I have had my boat for less than one week. I have had trouble docking in windy conditions but it has just been my wife and dog that witnessed that. Well yesterday we went out with a group of friends. As we came back to the dock there was a strong cross wind, about 12mph, pushing away from the dock. I thought to myself, I am never going to live this down, my friends can be rough.

As we came in, I aimed a little to starboard, shifted into neutral, and we slid in within 6 inches of the dock. First try. Tied off, I took a bow, and now my friends all think I am a great captain! Now if I can get them to kick in some gas money, I'll be in great shape.

Attachments

• IMG_6239.jpg
    IMG_6239.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 67
It’s like riding a bike once you get used to it.

I have had my boat for less than one week. I have had trouble docking in windy conditions but it has just been my wife and dog that witnessed that. Well yesterday we went out with a group of friends. As we came back to the dock there was a strong cross wind, about 12mph, pushing away from the dock. I thought to myself, I am never going to live this down, my friends can be rough.

As we came in, I aimed a little to starboard, shifted into neutral, and we slid in within 6 inches of the dock. First try. Tied off, I took a bow, and now my friends all think I am a great captain! Now if I can get them to kick in some gas money, I'll be in great shape.
We all know that feeling!

When I got my pontoon back in 2012 and it was docked on our association dock I knew I wasn’t very good at docking so I would go out at 5am and dock, back out and repeat over and over. No one around to laugh

Good job Big Shooter! This is our 1st year keeping our boat on a lift in a different part of the lake although it's only about 8 minutes from our house. It seems like it's alot windier over there and our double Bimini surely doesn't help. We've had a few challenges getting it between the guides on the lift so far but it has worked out. It's come to the point where we would be our enjoying ourselves somewhere and then it starts to get windy and my wife and I would look at each other and say.......Gonna be tough when we get back to the slip! Ha!

Just a warning, don’t get over-confident. The first year that I had the pontoon I got to feeling pretty good about getting the boat docked. Then one afternoon we came back in and it was pretty windy. Fortunately I didn’t do any damage to my boat or the neighbors, but only because I was lucky. The wife said she was getting me one of those shirts that says “I’m sorry for anything I said while docking the boat”. I think about that day every time I pull in the marina and the wind is blowing.

Back