The Rental... July 4th 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotnitro

BANNED MEMBER
Reaction score
So picture this.. (sorry for the long read)

2 lines of about 80-100 boats all backed in and tied off, engines facing the opposite line with about 20-30 feet in-between for the "party".

This drunken and stoned wall of millions and millions of dollars anchored down had the loudest music MADNESS (you cant hear any particular song either because its all turned up with different music playing) that I've ever heard and I've heard some LOUD sh!t!! Generators on the bows running all the amplifiers, drones flying above, meat smoke from grills share the weed smell in the air, jet skis flying up and down the channel about 100 yards away from this great wall of euphoric inebriation.

Behind the sh!t show going down is another one! 100-150 boats all anchored down in random fashion about 10-20 feet apart. Some are tied off with a few others, some are alone, some made another line of craziness.. I was tied off with 3 other boats, some friends of ours, I was in the sh!t show!

I decided to come out from under the Bimini and get some sun on the bow bench. Right as I sat down I hear an engine start lol... It was a rental with probably the MAX amount of people that you can have on board AND they were all sitting up front. The "Captain" and 1 passenger were in the back. We heard the engine start because it was 1/2 out of the water from being trimmed up too high and from the weight in the bow, it was picking the a$$ end up. I hear it go in gear, loud, slow engagement grind... She floors it! Water spray went everywhere! The boat takes off and now she's trying to steer away from another boat. She slam's it in reverse and floors it again! Its not slowing down because the prop is now above the water line. She slam's it forward and floors it again thinking she's going to have enough steering traction to avoid hitting the boat in front of her. NOPE! She took someone's ladder off and damaged the fiberglass + GEL coat. Every weekend I see at least 2-3 rentals getting a tow out of the shallows lol.. Just figured I'd type out 1 episode of the dumpster fire that goes down every weekend on the good ole Chain O Lakes.. :cool: There should be some type of test some of these renters need to pass before they can boat IMO!

In my area all you need is a credit card to rent a boat .
This is why we wont go out on Holidays and Saturdays ( no boat this season )

Our 4th of July at Lake Pleasant, just outside of Phoenix AZ included a monsoon storm that brought heavy winds and rain. We were not there at the time, our boat slip neighbors advised the waves got up to 2 - 3 foot at its peak and our 23LSR was rolling pretty good! The storm popped two dock lines (1/2"), we are very fortunate to have great slip neighbors and marina staff that got the boat secured once more. So we surveyed the boat yesterday, and it appears we did not incur any damages to our months old boat. :) So now I am off to the marine store this morning to purchase new dock lines (probably 3/4-1") and a couple more boat fenders.

It is not uncommon to get these monsoons 3 to 4 times a summer, anything else I should consider for protection in our uncovered slip?

We go to our low occupancy condo at the beach every holiday, cook in every meal and sit in front of our building for the duration. Minimize our exposure to the fools as best we can.

We go to our low occupancy condo at the beach every holiday, cook in every meal and sit in front of our building for the duration. Minimize our exposure to the fools as best we can.
I do admit, I have had some nice chuckles listening to the "boat meets dock" crunch from my backyard.

We never go out on holiday weekends but......I have a cousin visiting us from Hawaii that flew in from Florida on Friday night and leaving today so we had no choice but to take her out yesterday. It actually wasn't bad at all because we stayed away from the popular Cocktail Cove where hundreds of boats were tied up. (It was too jammed to safely navigate) So after cruising around a bit we hung out in a No Wake zone by a marina and watched the boats being forklifted in and out. Those guys were working their butts off! We saw multiple boats that had too many people on it and people who were sitting in the front with their feet dangling in the water and water patrol made alot of stops and did a great job!!! Put the boat away about 500pm. Turned out to be a great day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back