third price increase

sailorman

Reaction score
spoke to my dealer today he says that Bennington has put in another price increase, ordered on 8/10/21 this will be the third increase since then. he also said that with the shortage of heavy duty rub rails most people passed on them now there is a shortage of stock ones

spoke to my dealer today he says that Bennington has put in another price increase, ordered on 8/10/21 this will be the third increase since then. he also said that with the shortage of heavy duty rub rails most people passed on them now there is a shortage of stock ones
Welcome to the forum Sailorman. Let me get this straight......You ordered a boat on August 10th, put down a deposit and the price has increased 3 different times since then?!? I understand your concern/frustration on this matter and I also understand Bennington's stance on passing the increased cost to it's customers. But there has to be a happy medium here. Are you able to walk away without losing your deposit if the cost continues to climb? Were these possible price increases discussed when you ordered the boat? Can you share the amount it has increased since August?!? If not I understand......

I ordered from my dealer in November and said this is what I'm paying. If you have an increase you either eat it or I'm out. No other business is doing what the boat industry is doing right now. When you order a car would you ever pay extra after it's ordered? I dont think so. I know these are uncertain times but the dealer is also not discounting much. They are factoring in price changes when they order.

I almost bought a Barletta but they wouldn't lock in price.

Check your paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once a deposit is paid on a boat at a price which has been agreed upon by both parties, that is a contract. Unless there is specific language in the contract which allows for price increases, that is not legal and is unacceptable. You may have legal recourse to recover not only the deposit, but potentially other damages, interest, etc.

have not heard total increase yet but the dealer said the third increase is another 7% he says that if your boat is not in the build order the increase is in effect

Check the build page ,if you just ordered you can do a comparison build

Just rebuilt mine and it was $3200 more than in July when we ordered. Been 5 months still no word

I ordered from my dealer in November and said this is what I'm paying. If you have an increase you either eat it or I'm out. No other business is doing what the boat industry is doing right now. When you order a car would you ever pay extra after it's ordered? I dont think so. I know these are uncertain times but the dealer is also not discounting much. They are factoring in price changes when they order.

I almost bought a Barletta but they wouldn't lock in price.

Check your paperwork. It's signed by both parties for a certain price. There is no language in there that allows a dealer to pass along increases.
I have 2 couples/friends that are having houses built in 2 different parts of North Carolina. Both had price increases from their respective builders. (Lumber prices were a big factor) They had meetings with heads of each company and they came up with a negotiated agreement on how much of the increase they were expected to be responsible for and how much each company was going to absorb. It could have gotten really ugly or out of control but they all worked it out......

Ordered mine in September (no build date yet) but I locked the price on the order date. It's one of the reasons the dealer encouraged me to order as soon as we were sure what we wanted, so we could avoid the price increases. I have a sales order that shows total price less deposit and balance due with tax and all. I'm surprised price increases are being passed on. Does not seem like good business if you locked the order and put down a deposit.

Ordered mine in September (no build date yet) but I locked the price on the order date. It's one of the reasons the dealer encouraged me to order as soon as we were sure what we wanted, so we could avoid the price increases. I have a sales order that shows total price less deposit and balance due with tax and all. I'm surprised price increases are being passed on. Does not seem like good business if you locked the order and put down a deposit.
Agree completely. Same reason I ordered mine, but mine was in November

Some of these posts baffle me. I don't care if it's a boat, house, car, truck, or whatever.....unless the seller has slipped verbage in the contract allowing them to raise prices on the fly, and you read it and signed it, there are legal repercussions for "breach" of contract. Be very careful what you sign. Read it, and ask questions if you don't understand. Noone will be raising prices on me if I sign a contract. And if there's verbage that allows it, then I'm going somewhere else or doing something different. It won't get signed. My first question, if ordering, would be if the price is locked in. If the answer is no, then see ya. If financing, the bank is not going to tolerate that either.

Last edited:
Some of these posts baffle me. I don't care if it's a boat, house, car, truck, or whatever.....unless the seller has slipped verbage in the contract allowing them to raise prices on the fly, and you read it and signed it, there are legal repercussions for "breach" of contract. Be very careful what you sign. Read it, and ask questions if you don't understand. Noone will be raising prices on me if I sign a contract. And if there's verbage that allows it, then I'm going somewhere else or doing something different. It won't get signed. My first question if ordering would be if the price is locked in. If the answer is no, then see ya. If financing, the bank is not going to tolerate that either.
Exactly!!

Too many unknowns to make a comment.
None of us know what conversations were had at ordering time. We are living in times of unprecedented inflation.
A responsible way to sell something would be to say..."Do you want our best price based on today's costs? This will be re-calculated based on landed costs. Or would you like a firm quote that will be honored regardless of what dealer costs do in the meantime?"
These would most likely be two very different numbers.
Communication is key. Eliminate any possible surprises, meet expectations and honor promises, even if it is costly. It will create a return customer.

Agreed with others above, check the contract. Likely you have a dealer that's doing what a lot of others are doing and testing what they can get away with.

I was fortunate in my case, the dealer that sold me my boat included (accidental or not) HIS order acknowledgment with Bennington and billing to TCF Inventory so I was darn sure when the boat was ordered, what his cost was and any special contingencies or clauses. The whole supply chain is dealing with fairly unprecedented times so everyone in the order process from raw materials down to the end consumer is in an arm wrestling match.

Know what you signed and act accordingly.

I was fortunate in my case, the dealer that sold me my boat included (accidental or not) HIS order acknowledgment with Bennington and billing to TCF Inventory so I was darn sure when the boat was ordered, what his cost was and any special contingencies or clauses.
It's very commonplace for the landed price to increase on dealership orders on all sorts of equipment. I would not make the assumption that his costs are protected.

I was at one of my local dealers yesterday, and he confirmed two things.

1. Bennington has a 7% price increase effective January 1.
2. Bennington will NOT lock in the price of a custom ordered boat. The price you pay is the one it's at when the boat hits the dealer lot. And it's not just Bennington either. Same for others.

This particular dealer has a couple dozen Bennys on order and has none yet. Nada.

I'm also glad I snuck in my purchase right before the madness... question is what happens if/when we upgrade years from now? Will pricing correct at some point or is the toothpaste out of the tube forever? I've heard both arguments.

Back