Third time's a charm? (ESP vs SPS+ questions)

Nautical

Reaction score
Hi All.

The old timers here will probably remember me. I haven't posted much since Carl passed. I also ended up selling my 2017 RCW in late 2019. I ended up going without a boat for over a year because of "everything" that went on during that time period. I got some insider info on a used Manitou and I've been putting around in that for the past couple of years waiting for things to calm down. Now I'm sniffing around new boats again.

Even with dealer markdowns and rebates coming back in play, the R class prices have entered insanity territory so they're off the table. Besides, the LX line pretty much equals the R classes I had anyway. The big change to my options now is the loss of the ESP hull. Dealers seem to only be equipping R and Q classes with ESP where the L and LX get SPS PLUS. I realize I can order an LX with ESP but I'm buying leftover off the shelf again.

After owning TWO ESP Bennys I feel like it's a step backwards to consider an SPS+ so I thought I was ask you folks what the real, on the "road" difference really is. Today a dealer, asked that very question, told me the rough water ride should be the same with the only noticeable difference being the tigher turning abilites of the ESP hull. What say you on that?

I can also ask opinions on the Yamaha 200 vs 250 but probably won't ;) I was not a fan of the 4.2L VF250 on my 2017 as it couldn't match the performance of the 3.3L F250 on my 2013 but this dealer told me the Offshore line (grey color) F250 was back and I'm leaning toward that except it's now 4.2L and the only difference I can find between the F250 and VF250 is the F250 calls for 87 octane and holds less oil. Anyway, I'm getting off track, the choices being offered by the dealer I'm talking to do not include the black VF250 anyway.

So the engine choice is not a huge concern for me unless one of them is a bad idea on the SPS+ hull. I'm more asking about the true differences between the hulls.

Thanks!

I have an SPS + with a 250 Verado ( V8 ) The difference between an SPS and SPS + is heavier construction so it can take the 250 . The only reason I did not get
an ESP ,is that mine is in a slip all season and I can't get between the tubes to clean it . All that being said I have no regrets getting the SPS+. But yes you will get a better ride with an ESP

I've had a sps and currently have the esp package. It does handle rough water better and definitely turns sharper. The roughness of the body of water your on will dictate if having the esp is absolutely worth it. The sps or sps+ hulls are still very good especially with the f250.

Huh ... a salesman not telling the truth? Who'da thunk it!

Well this is unfortunate. Based on only these few replies, my take is the SPS+ is good but ESP will be noticably better. Applied to my case, my takeaway is that I will regret not getting the ESP package. This essentially kills my chance at a leftover and an order is out of the question since Bennington has gone completely insane with their pricing. I will not buy a trim level below what I'm accustomed to in order to compensate for this.

Got a chuckle out of your past boat deets in your signature info Nautical. :D Been awhile, but good to see you post again as you look at boats. Good luck with making your choice! Honestly, I really like the newer L and LX lineup, and think a SPS+ and 250 will be a great combination.

I don’t have any firsthand experience with the ESP hulls, so unfortunately I cannot contribute personal experience. Glad there are some good insights listed above for you. Unless you trailer to other big and rough bodies of water, I think the SPS+ with the 250 would work great for you. Even on our big lake, our normal SPS hull & 200 Mercury Verado do great for us. However, if I could have afforded to move up to an ESP (and more HP), I surely would have when we ordered our boat in 2017.

In theory between the SPS+ and ESP, you are giving up that tighter turning radius, bit better handling and ride in the roughest water conditions, more center hull storage (if the boats have it) and fuel tank capacity. But the SPS hull line does still handle and ride great. It certainly wouldn’t hold me back from a purchase if everything else was good.

Is there ANYONE near you that has an SPS or SPS+ hull that could get on the water with you so you can ”feel” how it is compared to your older ESP hull?

Hey man I think you've had 4 boats since we met you guys! I'm sure #5 is just around the corner!

Back