Three batteries on my 2008 2275 GS

benn2275

Reaction score
My new to me Bennington came with three batteries. One is at the stern while they other two are stored and connected at the bow, each in there own compartment on the port and starboard sides. At one time their was a trolling motor on the bow, the front battery (s) obviously powered it. Without crawling around and trying to trace how or if all three batteries are connected, I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable members here if they knew how the three battery system works. My main question would be, do all three of these batteries get charged while the boat is operating? I do have a battery switch at the back but it is only an off/on switch, their is no single or dual setting. Any information is helpful and likely saves me time. Thanks in advance.

My new to me Bennington came with three batteries. One is at the stern while they other two are stored and connected at the bow, each in there own compartment on the port and starboard sides. At one time their was a trolling motor on the bow, the front battery (s) obviously powered it. Without crawling around and trying to trace how or if all three batteries are connected, I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable members here if they knew how the three battery system works. My main question would be, do all three of these batteries get charged while the boat is operating? I do have a battery switch at the back but it is only an off/on switch, their is no single or dual setting. Any information is helpful and likely saves me time. Thanks in advance.
Did you buy this boat used or brand new?

To me it sounds like it is a single batter boat that someone then added two more batteries to on their own or through the dealer. Are you able to trace any connecting wires to these other two batteries, or is wiring obscured by under-skirting or something?

I know you can order with dual batteries and Perko switch, but didn’t think you could order with three batteries (although I am sure some sort of special request or secondary add on may certainly be possible). Maybe I’ve overlooked the ability to order with more than two batteries…?

Did you buy this boat used or brand new?

To me it sounds like it is a single batter boat that someone then added two more batteries to on their own or through the dealer. Are you able to trace any connecting wires to these other two batteries, or is wiring obscured by under-skirting or something?

I know you can order with dual batteries and Perko switch, but didn’t think you could order with three batteries (although I am sure some sort of special request or secondary add on may certainly be possible). Maybe I’ve overlooked the ability to order with more than two batteries…?
I bought this pontoon used about three weeks ago. I'm being a bit lazy about tracing the wires back because we're having so much fun touring our lake every weekend. Because there are factory installed storage cabinets for each battery at the bow, I'm going to assume that this was a special order option. It's also possible that the dealer added them as well. Either way I know that the two front batteries are connected. I will make the effort to go underneath and trace the cables back. Again my main question would be, do all three of these batteries charge while I'm driving.

Batteries for trolling motors should be deep cycle and are not charged by the boat motor. The 2 batteries normally are wired in series to power a 24 volt trolling motor. Do the batteries say deep cycle on them? If they are and you are not using a trolling motor, pull them out and save the weight.

Batteries for trolling motors should be deep cycle and are not charged by the boat motor. The 2 batteries normally are wired in series to power a 24 volt trolling motor. Do the batteries say deep cycle on them? If they are and you are not using a trolling motor, pull them out and save the weight.
Thank for your reply. I will check on the weekend to see if they are deep cycle batteries. As you appear to knowledgeable regarding this.....if I was to add a regular battery, would running it back to the battery switch provide me with a backup battery that the motor is charging?

The 2 battery switch is different. It has off, 1, all, 2. It can isolate the batteries usually called the start battery and the house battery. If floating with music blasting , people might switch to 2 to make sure the start battery does not get drained. The batteries in front are probably not connected to the battery in the back.

Seems like if you physically disconnected the back battery cables from the battery, and then if you boat still worked (ie radio runs, starts, etc) that would confirm that the front batteries are wired into the boat system. Probably easier than tracing wires.

But it helps hold the bow down vs. sandbags …. Sorry couldn’t resist. :D:D:D

Seems like if you physically disconnected the back battery cables from the battery, and then if you boat still worked (ie radio runs, starts, etc) that would confirm that the front batteries are wired into the boat system. Probably easier than tracing wires.
And then Joeb14 comes and offers up the best common sense way to test out the battery hook up.

A true “why didn’t I just think of that?” I’d try Joe’s suggestion.

I wonder if the original owner had a trickle charger at his dock or someplace for the front batteries? Typically it doesn't take long to drain a 24v (or 36V or 48V) system when trolling. Especially with a big sail like a pontoon. We had a 24V trolling motor on the front of our Lund 18 foot center console but we had to charge them at the dock after a long day on the water (and that was a light weight aluminum boat). That boat looked like a slick PT boat, but trolling into the wind to have exact speed control takes it toll, especially in a heavy wind.

What is the thrust of the trolling motor? That might give an indication of how long the batteries will last. Ours was 80lb with 52" shaft I think.

Great advice by Joeb14 to disconnect the rear and see what happens

Easiest is if you have a multimeter and check voltage on all three batteries before starting it, then check again after you start while the battery switch is in the 1+2 position. If they are all connected they'll go from 12.8ish up to probably 14. If you don't own a multimeter they are only $25 for a cheapy which is all you need

I'll also add since you're a new Bennington when using the perko switch never switch from 1 to off to 2 while motor is running! The meter way will also let you know which are on bank 1 and which are on bank 2

Back