Throttle Adjust? Yamaha 704 Remote Control for 150HP outboard

Reaction score
Anyone have advice on adjusting the throttle cable on a 2007 2275 RL? Not the shift linkage, plenty of information out there on that and mine works OK (shifting into reverse is smooth but forward grinds a bit and takes more movement to engage).

Problem is with the throttle cable. After shifting into forward/no wake my lever needs to go forward about 2" before any response from the engine. This puts the lever practically into the cup holder and associated beverage space. Seems I should be able to remove the slack by adjusting the clevis inside the controller (or maybe somewhere else) but wanted to see if anyone else has made easier adjustments and/or if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of.

I CAN get the engine to max RPM but this puts the lever into the beverage space and that's inconvenient. Thanks for any insights.
IMG_5417.JPG

I’m following this as I have the same issue with my 2006 2275RL. Like you I can get it to WOT still, but it completely covers the cup holder. Would love for it to engage sooner.

I have the same issue.
I too would love a solution, although I'm not holding my breath.

I've never rigged one but seems there are two areas to focus:

1) throttle adjustment screws
2) throttle cable joint adjustment

I would pull the engine cowling and watch what the throttle does as you articulate the binnacle. Engine not running of course. Adjust accordingly.

Adjustment screw at the binnacle should eliminate you from going past 90 degrees. Adjusting the joints at the end of the cable should deal with slack. Note Yamaha indicates in their manual the joint at the binnacle should be spun on 11mm and the joint at the engine at least 8mm.

Again I caveat all this with never having rigged one myself so refer to the 704 manual.

EDIT: two other thoughts, 1) if the cables are not secured/clipped at their appropriate spots they could add slop when moved (analogy would be pushing something heavy with a rope, but it just flexes and bends), and 2) if the cables are old and in bad shape there could be corrosion or stretch that throws the whole thing out of whack.

Last edited:
Back