Throttle not working correctly - Help!

Simonsays

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2019 Bennington 23RSB with Mercury 250 four stroke and we finally got it on the lake last week. It ran fine for a little time and I killed the motor to hook up a tube. I restarted the motor and pushed the throttle to go forward. It did not engage, I put it in neutral and tried it again to no avail. I finally put it in reverse and the boat engaged and started in reverse, once it moved in reverse, I pushed the throttle forward and the boat started moving forward, thus running all over the lake without issue. Once I stopped, I had to go thru the process again to go forward. My throttle has several buttons and I thinking I hit something that is causing this action. I have a Dock Button, Throttle Only, a couple other buttons - any suggestions on what is causing this behavior? TIA

Hmm, I don't think the problem is with a button that you hit. The "docking" mode is a great feature that is useful in situations where you don't want to unintentionally accelerate to high speeds. In that mode, the throttle is limited throughout the speed range, if that makes any sense. Perhaps one of our fellow members will chime-in on a potential cause to your problem. Good luck and post some pictures of your Benny!

I had the same kind of problems with digital controls on a Evinrude G2. They never could figure it out so I got rid of the boat. Please make sure your post and let me know once it’s fixed what the problem was. Always wanted to know what was really wrong with my boat and went round and round with the dealer for almost 2 years. I hope for your sake it’s not anything similar as far as the frustration.
That was my biggest factor in deciding to go with the Yamaha SHO. The fact that it’s not digital controls for throttle or steering. Old school technology but proven.

Back