TILT AND TRIM ADJUSTMENT

oldmanwhit

Reaction score
We have a 2021 SX23 with rear livewell. Toon is powered with a 2021 Yamaha F150. When motor is fully trimed up the engine cowling makes contact with the livewell. I am concerned this will damage the cowling. Can the trim be adjusted to stop short of contact or was the motor mounted improperly.

We have a 2021 SX23 with rear livewell. Toon is powered with a 2021 Yamaha F150. When motor is fully trimed up the engine cowling makes contact with the livewell. I am concerned this will damage the cowling. Can the trim be adjusted to stop short of contact or was the motor mounted improperly.
I guess i don’t 100% understand. Just don’t tilt it up to the point it makes contact and you’ll be fine…correct? are you able to trim for operation in water, and this is just an issue if you want to trim and get your prop out of the water when dockside? Can you add pictures to your post: engine mounting, as well as what it looks like trimmed up? Maybe that will provide insight if this is just a “you found your limit to trimming“ issue, OR if it is something more extreme.

For instance, I cannot tilt mine up all the way or else my prop contacts and gets caught in my towing turbo swing. Solution is just tilting it up just short of that point and we’re fine. It still gets up plenty far to get prop out of the water, so it’s a workable situation for us.

I believe it's possible, either a physical limiter switch or possibly programming via the Yamaha YDS software. Some info out there on the interwebs.

This video alludes to a switch adjustment. Probably best to talk to your Yamaha tech first who should be able to give you options.

I have a 2021 22 sx with rear livewell and mine doesn’t hit. I would assume there is an adjustment.

Have you expressed your concern to your dealer about this? Your dealer mounts the motor and is your best source for help on it .

My 250 Mercury was hitting the deck with the engine cowling and my dealer lowered the limit to solve the problem. I knew when to stop it but others did not. Such as kids messing with the trim switch at the beach

I knew when to stop it but others did not. Such as kids messing with the trim switch at the beach
I had not considered this since no one else touches anything at the helm in our family and friend group except me. Not really a rule or anything, just everyone leaves it all to me all the time.

Kind of good, and kind of not…lol But with multiple people sometimes assisting, I now can see why this could be an issue with others forgetting “when to stop”.

I've seen where some have installed a hydraulic jackplate to raise the engine/lower unit out of the water when in not underway. Just make sure there is clearance if you have a ski bar. Bennington will not cover transom damage if jack plate is installed.

Last edited:
Back